Dangerous Davies: The Last Detective (1981)

Quote: Chappers @ 28th February 2021, 7:51 PM

I see that Dangerous Davies is being shown next Sunday at 10pm. This is the film featuring Bernard Cribbins as Leslie Thomas's creation, the last detective.

Don't normally watch TPTV films post 1950s, but took your recommendation Dave, and I did quite enjoy it. Good story with a strong cast, and Cribbins pursuing a cold case of murder, with some good humour thrown in.

My only minor criticism is the number of times he gets beaten up and bandaged - yet appears in the next scene as unharmed or carrying on as normal swathed in bandages. Even at one point getting out of a hospital bed to pursue a lead.

Yes, good film

Yes, I enjoyed it. It is on again tomorrow (Thursday) on TPTV at 10pm.

It was a TV film, as opposed to a film for cinema release, broadcast on ITV on 4 January 1981. Apparently the later series , The Last Detective, starring Peter Davison (which I never watched), was based on the same character.

I don't think it's too much of a spoiler, but I thought it was weird that rozzer being questioned about the currently missing Sarah Everard in London.

The IMDCB have let me down this time - do you know what that open top red car was Cribbins was driving around in? Looked like an Austin?

My first three cars were a Ford Anglia, a Morris Oxford and a Morris 1300. I can confirm that it was none of those!

The Austin Eight Register website ( https://www.austin-eight.com/austin8inmovies.htm ) suggests that is what it may have been.

I know my cars.............. :D I thought it was an Austin, by the grille of course.

Here's one for sale, for £2500, if you've got some spare dosh and time to do it up.

My first car was Ford Consul Mk 1

Here it is, after I'd sprayed it red. :D

...And this is mine (note the transfer covering up the rust patches):

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 10th March 2021, 10:32 AM

Yes, I enjoyed it. It is on again tomorrow (Thursday) on TPTV at 10pm.

It was a TV film, as opposed to a film for cinema release, broadcast on ITV on 4 January 1981. Apparently the later series , The Last Detective, starring Peter Davison (which I never watched), was based on the same character.

As a big Leslie Thomas fan I watched and enjoyed both. The latter seemed to stray a lot from the books though. I haven't got around to watching the Bernard Cribbins one yet but I actually managed to record it.

Spotted another Austin Eight in the "Stop Press Girl" I reviewed

Watching it now. Very close to the feel of the book.

Noticed Pat Butcher (Pam St Clement) and looking forward to seeing Maureen Lipman, one of my favourites probably at her best.

Good film. Brilliant casting to have Frank Windsor who'd starred in Z Cars and Softly softly as the ex-policeman who'd cracked up and was in a mental hospital.

The later series, The Last Detective, with Peter Davison & Sean Hughes, starts a re-run on Drama on Tuesday night at 8pm.

After watching the original TV film on TPTV, I searched for a DVD of the later series only to find that the complete series goes for over £60. So the Drama Channel on Tuesday nights is clearly the cost effective way forward.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 11th July 2021, 10:42 AM

The later series, The Last Detective, with Peter Davison & Sean Hughes, starts a re-run on Drama on Tuesday night at 8pm.

After watching the original TV film on TPTV, I searched for a DVD of the later series only to find that the complete series goes for over £60. So the Drama Channel on Tuesday nights is clearly the cost effective way forward.

Do what I do and burn them to DVD - very cheap!