Copyright infringement Page 2

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 24th February 2021, 8:32 AM

Just for clarity:
Before 1923 - are in public domain and can be used freely by anyone.
Between 1923 and 1978 - without a public copyright notice, are also in public domain.
Between 1923 and 1963 - published with a copyright notice, but the copyright has not been renewed, are available in public domain.
Between 1923 and 1963 - published with a copyright notice, and that notice has been renewed, are only available in public domain 95 years after the publication date.
Between 1964 and 1978 - published with a copyright notice, are available in public domain 70 years after the death of the author. If the postcard was a corporate authorship, it is in public domain 95 years after the publication or 120 years from when it was first created.
Between 1978 and March 1, 1989 - without an initial public copyright notice, but then a copyright notice was filed after publication, are in public domain only 70 years after the death of the author. If the postcard was a corporate authorship, it is in public domain 95 years after the publication or 120 years from when it was first created.
Between 1978 and March 1, 1989 - with a copyright notice, are in public domain only 70 years after the death of the author. If the postcard was a corporate authorship, it is in public domain 95 years after the publication or 120 years from when it was first created.
After March 1, 1989 - without a public copyright notice are in public domain only 70 years after the death of the author. If the postcard was a corporate authorship, it is in public domain 95 years after the publication or 120 years from when it was first created.

UK law as far as I recall does not require a public copyright notices for copyright to exist. I think you are quoting USA law and so much of it is wrong for the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/topic/intellectual-property/copyright

You can mark your work with the copyright symbol (©), your name and the year of creation. Whether you mark the work or not doesn't affect the level of protection you have.

See also: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/copyright-notice-digital-images-photographs-and-the-internet/copyright-notice-digital-images-photographs-and-the-internet

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ah, this seems to be your source. https://www.thirdshift3.com/2016/07/10/vintage-postcards-copyrighted/

The domain ends in .com it is a blog site that seems to belong to "Third Shift ... " after tracing through various pages I found this as their address IN AMERICA:

Contact Us

By Email: Click to email

By Contact Form: Contact Form

By Mail:
ThirdShift Vintage
PO Box 99
Fish Lk Twp, MN 55032

By Phone: (651) 409-3003

Quote: Lazzard @ 24th February 2021, 1:00 PM

And the fact that we, as blokes, should take it upon ourselves to decide that women quite enjoyed a bit of casual sexism in the past is, dare I say it, part of the problem.

I'm tempted to quote Jack Nicholson memorable speech from a "Few Good Men".

However, were you there in the early/mid 1950s? No, so how can you say I'm wrong in what I saw and heard.

And I'd like to ask you one question, but PLEASE do not think I am trying to back you into a corner. Far from it, I am genuinely interested to hear what you think of these.

What do you think of "Futtocks End"? Or more to the point "By the Sea" - if ever there was a moving saucy seaside postcard, this was it. In fact, I think it actually starts with a postcard of that type in the titles.

Both still very funny and totally innocent fun as far as I am concerned.

Quote: Lazzard @ 24th February 2021, 11:34 AM

They are sexist.
Women are either sex objects or nags.

Some depict that; some depict men equally unfavourably (eg "I wish I could see my small willie" or as downtrodden weaklings); most are neutral (eg "ginger nuts", "are you going to Bangor", "no smoking"). Therefore as a genre they are not specifically sexist towards women.

This sexist shite has to stop.
Women are losing their livelihoods from it.
You can't have attractive girls as decoration or walk on's anymore.
Ask them if they are happy they lost their source of income.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 24th February 2021, 3:50 PM

What do you think of "Futtocks End"? Or more to the point "By the Sea" - if ever there was a moving saucy seaside postcard, this was it. In fact, I think it actually starts with a postcard of that type in the titles.

When I watch them I enjoy the clever bits, and give a little wince at the 'jiggling tits' bits - which aren't particularly clever, and are sexist, frankly.
But I don't blame anyone involved at the time.
That was then and this is now.
Hence my earlier comments about NOT expunging them from history.
I just think we've moved on and should acknowledge & celebrate the fact - not moan that we can't do those sort of gags anymore.
And that's how I feel about all comedy of the past, if I'm honest.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 24th February 2021, 4:30 PM

Some depict that; some depict men equally unfavourably (eg "I wish I could see my small willie" or as downtrodden weaklings); most are neutral (eg "ginger nuts", "are you going to Bangor", "no smoking"). Therefore as a genre they are not specifically sexist towards women.

I'm only going by the ones on Herc's thread.
Not sure women come out particularly well in any of them.

Do you read them with your offended face?
Or did you stop after seeing the first one?
Or was it for research purposes wink wink nudge nudge.

What a tiresome git you are.

Laughing out loud

Quote: Lazzard @ 24th February 2021, 5:03 PM

But neither do the men!!! It's life. Vive la difference. F**k me, it'll get to the point where you won't even be able to glance at somebody in the street without someone being offended.

What a sad society we are turning in to. Denying nature - that's what it is.

Quote: Lazzard @ 24th February 2021, 5:03 PM

Diregarding the five examples I gave where that wasn't the case of course.

It's noticeable that, as is so often the case, it's people being offended on behalf of others rather than the supposed injured parties giving a toss.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 25th February 2021, 9:16 AM

It's noticeable that, as is so often the case, it's people being offended on behalf of others rather than the supposed injured parties giving a toss.

We see that on a regular basis - the left "goody two shoes" sticking their nose in where it's not wanted and perplexing the people they are supposedly protesting on behalf of.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 24th February 2021, 11:17 PM

But neither do the men!!! It's life. Vive la difference. F**k me, it'll get to the point where you won't even be able to glance at somebody in the street without someone being offended.

What a sad society we are turning in to. Denying nature - that's what it is.

Couldn't agree more. Men ogle women, women ogle men, although a few frosty feminists are trying their best to make it illegal. Often out of jealousy it's not them being ogled. I like a good ogle.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 25th February 2021, 9:16 AM

Yes yes.

Well, I'm getting vaxxed tomorrow.
Perhaps I'll take a few of the cards along and see how they go down with the nurses.
Might try and look up their skirts and pinch their bums - they like all that.
Welcome to Jurassic Park.

Quote: Lazzard @ 25th February 2021, 10:18 AM

Well, I'm getting vaxxed tomorrow.
Perhaps I'll take a few of the cards along and see how they go down with the nurses.
Might try and look up their skirts and pinch their bums - they like all that.
Welcome to Jurassic Park.

That's just being deliberately obtuse and missing the point. The postcards are just cartoons; not real people. Nobody's getting hurt or being abused. It's the difference between banging Tom and Jerry on the head twenty times with a hammer and actual animal cruelty. Even children understand that (otherwise there would be a lot of family pets with hammer related injuries). I'm surprised you don't. And before anyone says it (unless they have proof to the contrary), I'm sure seaside postcards have never incited anybody to do as you suggest (except you apparently!)