Marry Me (1949)

Sort of romcomdram, about four couples who meet via an old fashioned marriage bureau in London run by two spinster sisters (7gns.fee), showing their back stories and what develops. Not one I would search out, but pleasant enough with a bit of humour and drama thrown in.

Country Vicar looking to take good time girl home, who works in a "bob a dance" hostess in a club who makes her money on a percentage of the "champagne" she can get the punters to pay for - she tells the Rev. she's a secretary. Dramatic with sad ending.

Man looking for someone to invest £500 in a business project gets involved with a French woman who is fleeing her gangster boyfriend who is on the run for murder, and she wants to get married to and Englishman so she can get her citizenship. Dramatic with happy ending.

News reporter goes to do an exposé on the "scandalous" world of marriage bureaus and falls in love with one of the women he investigates, who shuns him when she finds out what he's about. Funny with happy ending.

A Gentleman's gentleman decides to chuck in his butler's job to marry and settle down, but the misogynistic Gentleman is not keen and deviously pretends to be him so he can woo the potential partner his butler has lined up, but he then falls for the girl, and the butler is none too pleased. Funny with happy ending, with the butler being the star of the piece, with his voice like Kryten's but without the mid Atlantic accent - very good actually and quite amusing.

No one of especial note. Ones I knew were: - David Tomlinson, Derek Bond, Susan Shaw, Guy Middleton, Simon Cadell's grandmother Jean (looks like him too), and in minor parts Joan Hickson, Anthony Steel, Esma Cannon, Sandra Dorne, Eric Pohlmann and Richard Wattis.

Yes, worth a watch.