Newsjack Series 24 - Feb/Mar 2021 Page 4

Quote: Dantrobus @ 1st March 2021, 3:37 PM

I managed to write a sketch for this episode's deadline - it was alright, I think, apart from a fairly weak ending.

I annoyed myself by thinking of a better premise for the whole sketch while I was trying to write a joke for Kiri's intro, but by then didn't have the time or will to start again.

I reckon I'll manage a few oneliners by tomorrow.

Good luck, everybody.

Congrats! Which bit was yours?

Well done Skram!

We also got one sketch out this morning- about the hunt for the person with the Brazilian variant- haven't submitted a sketch for ages and it felt good to get something done!

Good luck everyone!

How strict are the rules on sending stuff in advance?
It is currently Tuesday morning. The one-liner deadline is noon today but this week's sketch deadline was clearly yesterday.
If I tried to send a sketch for the following week's episode before Friday, would it be automatically binned without even being considered?

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 2nd March 2021, 7:54 AM

How strict are the rules on sending stuff in advance?
It is currently Tuesday morning. The one-liner deadline is noon today but this week's sketch deadline was clearly yesterday.
If I tried to send a sketch for the following week's episode before Friday, would it be automatically binned without even being considered?

I think pretty strict. At least, there's too big a risk that your episode 3 email would get lost in their inbox amongst all the episode 2 emails. I'd wait until Friday afternoon at the earliest before sending anything for next week's episode. You'd be asking them to file your episode 3 material somewhere and then remember to find it again once they turn their attention to episode 3 - too many admin steps that could go wrong, I reckon.

Quote: Dantrobus @ 1st March 2021, 3:37 PM

Congrats! Which bit was yours?

Thanks - mine was this one:

BREAKING NEWS
2. Police have handed a £10,000 fine to the organiser of a church meet-up in a pub car park. The pastor says he plans to appeal the fine as he believed the car park was a Pray And Display.

I think I heard a bit of groaning in there to be honest but I'm not complaining! I thought the virtual audience and laughter worked OK, a couple of times it seemed a bit time-delayed and excessively long but maybe they'll tweak that.

I managed to submit a sketch this week about teachers, and just about got a full set of one-liners - good luck all!

Quote: Bonzo @ 1st March 2021, 6:15 PM

We also got one sketch out this morning- about the hunt for the person with the Brazilian variant- haven't submitted a sketch for ages and it felt good to get something done!

Good luck everyone!

Well done! Mine was on the government pressuring the National Trust and other organisations to stop talking about colonial heritage.

Just submitted my oneliners - a full set this week, at least some of which I liked.

Good luck everybody!

Quote: skram @ 2nd March 2021, 11:48 AM

Thanks - mine was this one:

BREAKING NEWS
2. Police have handed a £10,000 fine to the organiser of a church meet-up in a pub car park. The pastor says he plans to appeal the fine as he believed the car park was a Pray And Display.

I think I heard a bit of groaning in there to be honest but I'm not complaining! I thought the virtual audience and laughter worked OK, a couple of times it seemed a bit time-delayed and excessively long but maybe they'll tweak that.

I managed to submit a sketch this week about teachers, and just about got a full set of one-liners - good luck all!

Great - I really liked that one! I see the groaning as a badge of honour!

Ah, The 'Pray and Display' joke - that was my favourite BN last week ( and the Ninja Turtles my favourite GWBW - anyone on here do that one ? )

I seem to have gone down the bleedin' obvious route with my oneliners this week . As I last got something on about three years ago, can't be too hopeful, but happier with this weeks efforts than my previous offerings last week.( Even my partner laughed at one of them at my 'read through '- she usually just grimaces )

Good luck all

Not a fan of topical humour but thought I'd bite the bullet after a long time of not submitting and give it a go.
However, I'm unable to open the rtf one-liner template so have missed this week!
I'm using Word (365).
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Well done to all successful entrants!

I managed a sketch yesterday and three one liners today. Although I'm didn't like any of the one liners. Last week was much better. Oh well, at least I'm pleased with the sketch.

Fingers crossed for Thursday!

Quote: garyd @ 2nd March 2021, 1:21 PM

However, I'm unable to open the rtf one-liner template so have missed this week!
I'm using Word (365).

Googling suggests that Word online can't open .rtf files. You could try using an online rtf to doc converter.

I think that they're forgiving with regards to formatting. As long as it's readable and close to the original you should be OK.

Quote: foggydon @ 2nd March 2021, 2:15 PM

I managed a sketch yesterday and three one liners today. Although I'm didn't like any of the one liners. Last week was much better. Oh well, at least I'm pleased with the sketch.

Fingers crossed for Thursday!

Googling suggests that Word online can't open .rtf files. You could try using an online rtf to doc converter.

I think that they're forgiving with regards to formatting. As long as it's readable and close to the original you should be OK.

Thanks foggydon, I Googled it too.
My problem was that I couldn't open it.
However, it looks like it didn't download correctly the two previous times.
Have done so again and it works fine (so much for Google! lol), so all good to go.
Next week.

Best of luck.

Quote: garyd @ 2nd March 2021, 1:21 PM

Not a fan of topical humour but thought I'd bite the bullet after a long time of not submitting and give it a go.
I'm using Word (365).
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Well done to all successful entrants!

I'm the same. I'm not a topical sketch writer but I did get a couple of one liners on albeit a couple of years ago. I had a total nightmare with the rtf file but I think I do have a word issue too. I ended up sending a few one liners but the format was a bit all over the place.

Does anyone else find it strange that BBC Writersroom are advertising the Newsjack opportunity, but seem to have completely distanced themselves from any other comedy opps at the BBC? I know they've done away with Comedy Room in favour of the Comedy Association or whatever it's called now, but I don't know why that means they can't promote those opportunities on their website. For example, it was only because of BCG I knew the Felix Dexter bursary was open, and I'm guessing it'll be the same for Caroline Aherne and Galton & Simpson. You do have to do a bit of digging to find anything comedy-related. This may not belong here and I'd be happy to start a new thread if people think that would be appropriate, but just wondered if anyone else had noticed.

Quote: EllieS @ 3rd March 2021, 9:57 AM

Does anyone else find it strange that BBC Writersroom are advertising the Newsjack opportunity, but seem to have completely distanced themselves from any other comedy opps at the BBC? I know they've done away with Comedy Room in favour of the Comedy Association or whatever it's called now, but I don't know why that means they can't promote those opportunities on their website. For example, it was only because of BCG I knew the Felix Dexter bursary was open, and I'm guessing it'll be the same for Caroline Aherne and Galton & Simpson. You do have to do a bit of digging to find anything comedy-related. This may not belong here and I'd be happy to start a new thread if people think that would be appropriate, but just wondered if anyone else had noticed.

Yeah I'd noticed things had been shifted around a bit. It is a bit weird that they do now have the Felix Dexter Bursary listed prominently but only if you click through to the 'view all opportunities' page, not on the opportunities section of the writers room homepage. I hope this'll all come out in the wash once the Comedy Association thing gets properly up and running.

Oh, aye - it is there now! Maybe they were just being slow. I was worried they were making some sort of point; "If you're looking for comedy opportunities, we're going to make it as hard for you as possible!"

Soz, aunty Beeb

Quote: EllieS @ 4th March 2021, 2:51 PM

I was worried they were making some sort of point; "If you're looking for comedy opportunities, we're going to make it as hard for you as possible!"

Not an unreasonable assumption, given they've cut the number of Newsjack episodes from 6 to 4 this series!

Just got the 'nearly' email....