The Office

There's not an actual simple thread on The Office, just variants of it, so I feel justified in starting this one.

So, Question 2 in this week's quiz I can answer with complete confidence (not that I didn't know it already), as I've just started this in my box-set rotation, and am finding it funnier the second time round.

Brent is sooooooo toe-curlingly embarrassing and Tim's looks as he ponders Gareth are priceless! Very funny!! And there's so much else going on.

I agree, it is extremely well written. Not just the words but the background actions and reactions.
Everybody knows someone like David Brent.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 3rd February 2021, 11:03 AM

Everybody knows someone like David Brent.

Ooooh yes - he's such a dick-head, living in a little world of his own.

I've said this before but I watched it from day one and thought it was brilliant because working in an office I could see all of the characters and situations.

What?

Someone set a stapler in a jelly?

Quote: lofthouse @ 3rd February 2021, 9:21 PM

What?

Someone set a stapler in a jelly?

Every day!

I've been watching an episode or two everyday this week, after telling myself I just don't need to watch it again as I feel like I can recite it all off by heart. But actually it's probably been more than 10 years since I've watched it in full and I'm enjoying it more than ever.
It's great to see a collection of different comedians and actors pop up in guest roles too.

It's madness to think this was nearly 20 years ago.

Great show that still feels fresh today. And I agree with Lee - twenty years! Where did that time go? The American offshoot was equally good, and featured Ricky Gervais in one episode.

The film about David Brent was quite poor, though, and proved that they were right to call it a day when they did.

I wasn't such a fan of the Wankee take - I enjoyed it but I felt they increasingly lost contact with reality and forced the characters to do crap just for laughs. The classic example is Gareth to Dwight.
The film worked for me. Sitcom movies are notoriously iffy but like me most mornings, they pulled it off
Mind you, not sure I can watch it yet again.

Yeah, I'd agree that by the end it had run out of steam and/or actors to play the office manager, but I thought the Michael Scott and Jan Levinson relationship was brilliantly toxic, and in many ways was much darker than anything in the British version.

For me, dark and serious were the elements I missed. Too much farce.
As I mentioned, the perfect example is Gareth: he's an unsympathetic character, but always credible, and even relatable: there's a bit of a nerd in all of us sometimes (ask Melania). Dwight's hilarious, but never likeable - or believable. Would he really suggest an alliance with his arch-rival? Or confuse Thursday and Friday? Or hide in a carton to spy in the warehouse? The best sitcoms are where the laughter comes from real people in real situations, unless you're going totally off the wall like The Young Ones or Boosh.

Jim from the American version is almost certainly the most boring , dull tedious character in sitcom history

Never saw the American version, and sounds as though I haven't missed anything. Besides, 188 episodes!! - why do the Yanks do something to death, thinking it's still funny. Idiots.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 26th June 2021, 12:14 AM

Never saw the American version, and sounds as though I haven't missed anything. Besides, 188 episodes!! - why do the Yanks do something to death, thinking it's still funny. Idiots.

Lots of people seem to like it

I went into watching it with an open mind - but I finally gave up about 4 seasons in

The main reason being that the characters were awful

Michael I.e. the David Brent is just an odious slime ball. Yes so was Brent in a way , but he was also funny and likeable- I just loathed this American version- he was just a dick

Also Dwight , their Gareth - just an annoying prat - not remotely as funny as Gareth

And their office romance - their Tim and Dawn? Just the most boring uninteresting pair of dullards you can imagine

It's just awful

IMO!

About 4 seasons in? Took yer f**king time.