A Newbie at Being Funny & Ready to Learn

Dear Reader:

I joined this forum in hopes of improving my ability to... be funny in general.

Specifically, visual comedy is where I want to shine since I make videos. If the viewer chuckles even once throughout an entire viewing, then that is a huge milestone!

I have heard stories that the British--in general--are masters of this art. That is why I wish to study under you all as your pupil.

~Steven Pham

Hello :)
There's lots of funny people here mate.

Why don't you post one of your videos so we can give an honest but polite opinion.

Welcome :)

Quote: john tregorran @ 21st January 2021, 4:57 AM

Hello :)
There's lots of funny people here mate.

Why don't you post one of your videos so we can give an honest but polite opinion.

Excellent, Mr. john tregorran. I made this account before I released my first attempt at visual comedy. I am happy that you and another veteran member replied. We have two, now three, different time zones to work with :D

The wait won't be long since it will release at 9:00AM Melbourne Time, 10:00PM London Time, and 5:00PM Eastern Time.

Edit: Here it is

Edit 2: I gathered some reception, and the first attempt was a total flop. Still, at least I put myself out there to test the waters.

First, I will leave you with some background information. Your critique can start with my assumptions about comedy before you even see the video. In short, am I starting off with good habits?

1) Timing, timing, TIMING: I would adjust the length of the clips. I even went as far as to adding two frames to a still image to build up anticipation for the next voice line or visual element.

2) Cut, cut, cut: I had around 15 minutes of material and trimmed it down to around ten minutes. From what I learned online, the writing process involved picking out the best of the best rather than presenting everything written down on the first go. This meant that I wrote a butch, discarded laggards, rewrote ones with potential, deleted a bunch, and repeated the process.

That's all for now. I am excited to have you and many other members critique the first attempt.

P.S. I read the etiquette rules, and I can tell that even that was written by the pros who knew their stuff :)

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st January 2021, 5:43 AM

Welcome :)

Hello, Mr. Hercules Grytpype Thynne. I am ready to soak up comedic wisdom like a sponge.