Advert

Brothers In Law (1957)

Hercules Grytpype Thynne

• Tuesday 15th September 2020, 6:08am
  • England
  • 17,172 posts

Having seen Richard Attenborough in one "comedy" that showed he was never going to be a comedy actor and not being a big fan of Ian Carmichael, I nearly didn't record this, but glad I did as I thoroughly enjoyed it, with some genuine laugh out loud moments.

The star for me though was Miles Malleson playing his usual 'not quite with it' part, as a barrister. Also in the film were John Le Mez (superb as ill-tempered judge), Kynaston Reeves (as another crabby judge) Terry-Thomas playing a dodgy spiv, Nicholas Parsons, Irene Handl brief and brilliant, Leslie Phillips very briefly, Eric Barker, Raymond Huntley, Kenneth Griffith briefly, John Schlesinger ! (second time I've seen him in a bit part) and Arthur Mullard in an uncredited "minor role".

Yes, most enjoyable.

john tregorran

• Tuesday 15th September 2020, 7:47am
  • mornington,victoria, Australia
  • 1,350 posts

I've seen Richard A in a comedy and thought him very good.I wonder if it's the same comedy?
Mine is Only Two Can Play.The oily Probert.: "How are you, Lewis? Still peddling trash to the masses?"

There was a Brothers in Law on the tv too with Richard Briers but I can't remember much about it.

Aaron

• Tuesday 15th September 2020, 11:11am
  • Royal Berkshire, England
  • 68,670 posts
Quote: john tregorran @ 15th September 2020, 7:47 AM

There was a Brothers In Law on the TV too with Richard Briers but I can't remember much about it.

Yes, all based on Henry Cecil's same original novel of the same name. Briers also starred in a later radio version of the sitcom; whilst Donald Sinden took the lead in a one-off radio play before them all.

Hercules Grytpype Thynne

• Tuesday 15th September 2020, 11:40am
  • England
  • 17,172 posts
Quote: john tregorran @ 15th September 2020, 7:47 AM

I've seen Richard A in a comedy and thought him very good.I wonder if it's the same comedy?

The one I'm thinking of, which I think I watched/reviewed sometime ago was "Father's Doing Fine" (1952). IMO it was pitiful, showing Attenborough to be no comic actor.

Hercules Grytpype Thynne

• Tuesday 15th September 2020, 2:45pm
  • England
  • 17,172 posts

I've seen The League Of Gentlemen a couple of times - very good film, but is that a comedy in the true sense of the word? Loot I don't know and have Private's Progress on DVD but not watched yet (Bloody TPTV has all my attention at present!)

I think Richard Attenborough is brilliant, for example no one does menace like he does and he's been the star of so many superb films, but I've never considered him as a comedy actor. In I'm Alright Jack for example, he's a slimy toe rag, but funny like Sellers and T-T? Hmmmm..........

Aaron

• Tuesday 15th September 2020, 3:09pm
  • 68,670 posts

Private's Progress is very definitely a precursor to I'm All Right Jack, so do watch that one sharpish.

Brothers In Law is from the same producers: not quite in line with the others in the same way, but very similar. So do continue and watch them all!

john tregorran

• Wednesday 16th September 2020, 7:36am [Edited]
  • mornington,victoria, Australia
  • 1,350 posts
Quote: Aaron @ 15th September 2020, 11:11 AM

Yes, all based on Henry Cecil's same original novel of the same name. Briers also starred in a later radio version of the sitcom; whilst Donald Sinden took the lead in a one-off radio play before them all.

Thanks I see Richard Waring was in it too. He was a very prolific sit com writer in the 60/70s.

Aaron

• Wednesday 16th September 2020, 11:58am
  • 68,670 posts

Yes, he wrote the TV version in fact.