Kipps (1941)

This is going to be another one of those that Aaron disagrees with as being a comedy, because the BFI says so as it lists it as a Drama, but as I pointed out previous they are not always right. Light comedy runs throughout this film

Yank title The Remarkable Mr. Kipps

I had seen this film sometime ago, based on the HG Wells story, but as my wife hadn't, I thought I'd give it another look, especially as I'd forgotten how it panned out.

Very light comedy with a few out loud laughs but a lovely story nonetheless, with the title role being taken by Michael Redgrave as a humble shop assistant who comes into money via an inheritance and his life is turned upside down by the snobs who shunned him when he "worked in trade", but now saw their chance to improve their lot, leaving Kipps confused and out of his depth.

Few faces such as the delightful, but restrained part in this, Hermione Baddeley, along with Michael Wilding and Phyllis Calvert as his true boyhood love, Edward Rigby and uncredited parts for Felix Aylmer and Kathleen Harrison.

Interesting to note that for the lad who briefly played Kipps as a boy, this was his last film in a career of only 4 films, the first being as Tiny Tim in the 1935 version of Scrooge, which I have a vague recollection of seeing - according to the IMDb he is still alive, which would make him now 94! I wonder what he did with the rest of his life after 1941.

I thought you were going to say that John Mills was in it.
But that's The History of Mr Polly with which I can get confused.It sounded similar.

Yes, very similar. Another good film too.