Obscure and forgotten comedy recommendations Page 3

Quote: Ben @ 10th September 2020, 4:38 PM

Saying that, I have covered The Gnomes of Dulwich (1969) as I read through a few of the scripts a couple of years back.

I mentioned that in a post on the Kaleidoscope facebook group, and there was a comment from someone who was a boom operator on it and said that it wasn't very funny, and that he wondered if it was only made for the pun in the title.

Quote: Aaron @ 17th September 2020, 10:33 AM

All Gas & Gaiters is one of the very best, but with multiple series of its own, a radio adaptation, two effective spin-offs and DVD releases, it probably doesn't meet Ben's requirements for either obscure or forgotten.

Me Mammy?Starring Milo O'Shea Late 60s sitcom, it doesn't have a DVD release, not all episodes survive. I know it has more than one series, but not all episodes are available though and came from BBC Comedy Playhouse.

Just remembered this - "The Walshes" from the pen of Graham Linehan in 2014. I thought it was hilarious, but sadly they only made 3 episodes.
Or is that too recent................

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/the_high_life/

I enjoyed the high life but not for long Piff Paff Poff.....

Quote: john tregorran @ 17th September 2020, 9:56 PM

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/the_high_life/

I enjoyed the high life but not for long Piff Paff Poff.....

Loads of people have mentioned this one to me, but I completely missed it at the time. The fact that the main stars went on to fame and fortune means its of interest. Currently on my 'to watch' list!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 17th September 2020, 4:00 PM

Just remembered this - "The Walshes" from the pen of Graham Linehan in 2014. I thought it was hilarious, but sadly they only made 3 episodes.
Or is that too recent................

Yeah, that one's a little too recent. I'm going up to the early 00s at the latest - the rise in power of the internet after this means that everything is pretty well preserved online already.

Quote: Wheel @ 17th September 2020, 1:40 PM

Me Mammy?Starring Milo O'Shea Late 60s sitcom, it doesn't have a DVD release, not all episodes survive. I know it has more than one series, but not all episodes are available though and came from BBC Comedy Playhouse.

I hadn't heard of that one, so looks interesting. It appears that the very first episode still exists and then nothing else until the third series (and it's only black and white telerecordings of the original colour episodes). Doesn't look as though any episodes are readily available at any archives, though, which is a shame as it would be perfect for the book.

Quote: jsg @ 17th September 2020, 11:13 AM

I mentioned that in a post on the Kaleidoscope facebook group, and there was a comment from someone who was a boom operator on it and said that it wasn't very funny, and that he wondered if it was only made for the pun in the title.

I remember seeing that. It's the lack of evidence that makes it all the more intriguing!

Not With A Bang?
Sounds like an interesting book. Good luck with it! Have you got a publisher sorted?

It's on DVD, but The Strange World Of Gurney Slade is really interesting. Just a man walking about and thinking of things. And Newley's film ....Can Heironymus Merkin Ever Forget Mercy Humppe And Find True Happiness? was featured in the newsletter recently, if you need something a bit rarer.

Beryl Reid Says Good Evening and Thompson would be good to write about as far as sketch shows go.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 21st September 2020, 3:50 PM

Not With A Bang?
Sounds like an interesting book. Good luck with it! Have you got a publisher sorted?

Thanks. I'm self publishing through Amazon - not sure many publishers would risk taking on something this niche!

And Not With a Bang sounds perfect, will try and seek it out!

Not sure if it fits the criteria but 'Orrible was very funny at the time but was panned by critics. Johnny Vaughan was a wannabe wide boy who gave it large down the pub but still lived at home and would be the first at the exit in a scrap. Other notable actors are Ricky Grover as his demented doorman best mate, Di Botcher as his bailiff mum and William Boyde as the ex special forces pub landlord. Every scene at the pub would start with Boyde finishing off a story of his hellish military days. For such a serious actor like William Boyde getting him to play the landlord makes the comedy because of all the subtle humour he brings. Complains the script was weak and Johnny Vaughan wasn't a good actor were misjudged and it's developed a cult following of sorts. The DVD sells for £12 on CEX which is a high price for just 6 x 30 minute episodes and a 90 minute special. I love it and re-watching it reminds me of when it was first broadcast in 2001. The humour comes from Paul Clarke (Vaughan) trying to make a quick raise in every episode but there's always a sequence of events that turns it in to a disaster.

In the last few years Johnny Vaughan tried to get the BBC to repeat it but it never happened. At the time of release he said it was shit which was a mistake and probably sour grapes that it hadn't got the viewing figures and praise he was hoping for.

Hmm, how wide are your parameters, are you distinguishing between success and failures for example? You know you'll have a lot of one series flops in there, you could do a whole book on them alone! I'm wondering how many successes would be left to write about, but yes probably a good number if you include non or rarely repeated sitcoms and the fact three channel TV gave a lot of shows a captive audience.

If you're going for Oddities, a thing I'd quite like to see a book on, how about Come Back Mrs Noah, also a one series flop by Croft & Lloyd, no less.

Richard Briers in "All in Good Faith" from the 80s?

Or other sitcom favourites Keith, Palmer, Bowles in the rarely mentioned hit sitcom Executive Stress (although I see it is or was on DVD).

For more out of the ordinary unusual ones (I thought were good) then two Enn Reitel vehicles, the (I thought excellent at the time) New Adventures of Lucky Jim and the sillier, vaguely 'Ghosts' like Mog, both never seen since, and I doubt if either have DVDs.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 27th September 2020, 10:22 AM

If you're going for Oddities, a thing I'd quite like to see a book on, how about Come Back Mrs Noah, also a one series flop by Croft & Lloyd, no less.

That's in there! I rather enjoyed it when I accepted it was one of the most ridiculous things I had ever watched. If you want to see every single 1970s sitcom cliche all at once then head for Come Back Mrs Noah!

Oh good, I'll see if I can You tube it then. Remember the vaguest glimpse of it, it might be one I wanted to watch but couldn't fit it in around all the other sitcoms. :S There were so many sitcoms on then, you'd never imagine it looking at today's puny schedule. So, from roughly the same era, more one series flops, although The Upchat Line had a(n inferior) sequel because the star refused to do a 2nd series for some reason.

Grundy - Never seen it but I intend to at some point as it was Harry H Corbett's final sitcom.

Hell's Bells - Yet another typecast Derek Nimmo clergyman sitcom. AGAG has a lot to answer for. (Although Nimmo was always great value)

The Upchat Line - John Alderton vehicle I heard was both naff and brilliant and it's been one of my 'must watches' for 40 years.

Langley Bottom - The only one of these I watched anything of. Cribbens deserved more and bigger star vehicles but I think I thought this was alright.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 4th October 2020, 2:17 PM

The Upchat Line - John Alderton vehicle I heard was both naff and brilliant and it's been one of my 'must watches' for 40 years.

See Amazon product listing

Quote: Ben @ 21st September 2020, 10:33 PM

And Not With a Bang sounds perfect, will try and seek it out!

Dad's Army. Private Walker (James Beck). Copyright: Alamy

'Ere, Guv, listen...