Newsjack Series 23 - September 2020 Page 7

Quote: JonT @ 8th October 2020, 7:48 PM

Swing and a miss for me too. I'm not regularly active on here, is it a lower success rate than usual?

Yeah certainly feels worse than usual.

Does seem worse.

Hello everyone, sorry been so busy, not got round to posting any of last week's rejects or commenting on other stuff as yet. Promise to do better!
Alas, any promises to myself to actually write anything broadcastable have hit another fail. I only submitted 2 of each in the oneliners this week, no sketches.
I am not surprised I'm not on, but... what, none of us? This is normally a pretty successful group!

Is it unusual for them to use a sketch and a GWBW on the same story (Poundland ouija boards)?

Also odd to refer to Tammy Abraham using a female pronoun in one of the BN!

Nothing for me either - can't remember this group failing to get anything at all, let alone 2 weeks in a row!

Off to Rejects!

Quote: Moobear @ 9th October 2020, 7:44 AM

Is it unusual for them to use a sketch and a GWBW on the same story (Poundland ouija boards)?

Not that unusual, thinking back to grumbles about previous series. Although, I always supposed the reason it happened was that they intended to choose one or the other but then both got big laughs in the recording so they kept both. Obviously that wasn't the case in this new format.

In general, I am really not a fan of GWBW as a format. They always feel so clunky, take too long to deliver and the punchline rarely feels worth it. I also find them really hard to write too, probably for those reasons.

I always much preferred the Jackapp vox pops format from many series ago - at their best, they could be like a little micro sketch as a oneliner that revealed something about the character delivering it. And even at their worst, they were just breaking news oneliners delivered in a regional accent.

Enjoyed the Libertines one liner about The Albion Rooms Hotel.
Completely missed this story ( suppose they could also have gone with a line about the co-owner breaking into customers rooms, but maybe a bit too dark )

That GWBW about Poundland ouija boards was far too long for my tastes.

Yeah, I'm also not the biggest fan of GWBWs. It's difficult to make them short, as you are often having to explain a lot in both the Good week and bad week bit of the setup. I preferred Newsjackapedia to them, to be honest.

Also didn't get on again this week myself, which was a shame, as similar to what others have said I was quite please with one of my one-liners and one of my sketches this week.

Quote: Moobear @ 9th October 2020, 7:44 AM

Also odd to refer to Tammy Abraham using a female pronoun in one of the BN!

I did a Poundland ouija board GWBW which was too long...no time to edit it. Not the one on the show. Haven't listened to NJ, ashamed to say.

Quote: TheKingLobotomy @ 9th October 2020, 10:57 AM

That GWBW about Poundland ouija boards was far too long for my tastes.

I just don't find GWBWS that amusing.
Yes, it happens not infrequently that the same topic comes up twice. I always put it down to editing slip-ups (ahem).

Btw Thosisd got a sketch on this week.

Managed to find the time to write 2 sketches this week... one about the 3-tier system and one about fairy tales. Good luck everyone, on to the one-liners...

Two sketches submitted. One felt very cathartic to write, so even if Newsjack don't go for it, it's done me some good!

Good luck everybody!

Good luck

No time this week

Before the start of the last few seasons they have asked for more centrist or even centre right sketches. Yet every series seems to go a little more to the left.
This week I have tried to write something a little more centrist than my own opinions (couldn't quite push myself to write a right wing sketch). And whilst I think the sketch I got out of it was funny, I have the lowest of expectations of it getting on.

Oneliners now submitted - a full set this time. Good luck to everybody in the mix this week!

Quote: TheKingLobotomy @ 12th October 2020, 5:47 PM

Before the start of the last few seasons they have asked for more centrist or even centre right sketches. Yet every series seems to go a little more to the left.
This week I have tried to write something a little more centrist than my own opinions (couldn't quite push myself to write a right wing sketch). And whilst I think the sketch I got out of it was funny, I have the lowest of expectations of it getting on.

They say this but I'm not sure if they really know what they mean when they say it. Of course a lot of material attacks the government of the day (welcome to topical comedy!) and we have had a right-wing government in power for the last 10 years, but I can't really think of much of it that's particularly come from a left-wing perspective. Plus, they weren't exactly short of material attacking Jeremy Corbyn for the last five years.