Go To Blazes (1962)

A few comedy actors in this, led by Dave King who I've never found funny, but I managed to struggle to the end with it - why it had mostly good reviews on the IMDb, I've no idea. The story is a gang of three smash and grab merchants find they get held up after the robbery in traffic and so get caught, and on the way to prison see a fire engine get priority through traffic, so when they come out of prison two years later they buy/steal a fire engine to use as their getaway vehicle, and hilarity ensues.

It should/could have been so much better and the jaunty comic music that accompanied the "funny" scenes only exacerbated my dislike for the film.

With the likes of Robert Morley, David Lodge, Norman Rossington, Maggie Smith etc. in it, it should as I say, have been better - even the brilliant Dennis Price seemed to struggle to make anything of his lines.
Bit parts for Arthur Lowe, John Le Mez, Dudley Sutton, Finlay Currie, James Hayter, Miles Malleson, Wilfrid Lawson, Derek Nimmo, John Glyn-Jones (Evenin' Arfur, VAT?), Kynaston Reeves and Hugh Lloyd.

If you've nothing better to do for 80 minutes, then watch it..................or read a book.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 3rd September 2020, 5:51 AM

John Glyn-Jones (Evenin' Arfur, VAT?)

Are you not mixing him up with Glynn Edwards?

Yes, and for noticing the deliberate mystery error, you win tonight's Star Prize of a caravan, or a speed-boat - whichever is more useless to you. Cool

At least it shows I'm honest, and not checking the WWW like certain people who are no longer on this forum. :P

I remember going to the cinema to see this. One of my first cinema memories.

Quote: Chappers @ 3rd September 2020, 8:53 PM

I remember going to the cinema to see this. One of my first cinema memories.

I thought you told me once you could remember gaslight and some old dear playing a piano, as they were silent films.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 3rd September 2020, 5:51 AM

It should/could have been so much better

Yes, this.

I found it reasonably enjoyable, but it felt less than the sum of its parts, and isn't one I'll rush back to. Some lovely 60s London on show, though.