Operation Bullshine (1959)

The title should tell you this is going to be a moderate comedy Army romp, and that's about what it was.

" The fun starts when a group of A.T.S. girls are posted to a light ack-ack command post on a remote part of the English coast."
Yes, and one of them (Barbara Murray) is the wife of the Captain (Donald Sinden) who gets posted to her husband's unit, BUT apparently, married couples cannot be in the same unit in this situation (?), and so the fun ensues.

Number of faces including Peter Jones who, for some reason, only talks gobbledygook like Stanley Unwin, a blast from the past with Naunton Wayne, Ronald Shiner, AND the one who stole every scene she was in - Dora Bryan, who I'm now viewing in a totally new light as she has proved to be a great comic actor. It was she that supplied the few laughs for me in this mediocre comedy.

I read this a few days ago

Cast in a production of Noël Coward's Private Lives, the actress was encouraged to adopt a stage name by Coward himself. She opted for Dora Bryant, which she often said was inspired by a box of Bryant and May matches which were lying on the table, but a typographical error left off the last letter on the theatre credits and she became Dora Bryan.

Quote: john tregorran @ 31st August 2020, 1:31 AM

I read this a few days ago

Cast in a production of Noël Coward's Private Lives, the actress was encouraged to adopt a stage name by Coward himself. She opted for Dora Bryant, which she often said was inspired by a box of Bryant and May matches which were lying on the table, but a typographical error left off the last letter on the theatre credits and she became Dora Bryan.

Interesting, and not a lot of people know that. :)

Her real name was Dora May Broadbent.
She could have dropped the last name and been Dora May............perhaps not.