Smart Alec (1951)

Weird one this and I only watched it as it wasn't quite an hour long and promised to be an intriguing comedy/murder mystery.

You know who the victim is (a rich uncle) and 99.9999% sure it was his nephew (the Smart Alec) who commits the murder, which has to be accomplished by the next day, when the uncle changes his will, cutting out the nephew.

What ensues is a bit of a farce as the story is "jollied" along by the antics of Kynaston Reeves (Mr. Quelch of Billy Bunter of Greyfriars School 1950s TV Series fame) as the Police Commissioner, Charles Hawtrey as an idiot police detective and Mr Partridge of Hi De Hi fame again (Leslie Dwyer) as a hotel porter - the three of them doing various comedy scenes linked to the plot.

Peter Reynolds (who I'd never seen before, but seems to have had quite a good film career) plays the Smart Alec, who through precise timing appears (and all in front of the Police Commissioner who he deliberately invites into his flat as a witness of his innocence) to murder his uncle who is sunbathing on the balcony of a flat opposite, with a rifle shot. Impossible! So did he kill his uncle or not? Reminded me a tad, of a poor man's Jonathan Creek.

Stupid twist at the end with a bit of evidence that wasn't presented at all in the film - thank Heavens it was only a short film.

Don't you remember him as "man on bicycle " from Daleks Invasion Earth 2150 AD ???????????

Oh, THAT Peter Reynolds.

I enjoyed this film when I first saw it:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/33824/

and included it in my 5 comedy films to watch over lockdown (although, you'll be surprised to know, I ended up watching a few more than five):

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 14th March 2020, 10:16 AM

What's Up Doc
A Fire has Been Arranged
Smart Alec (the 1951 film with Leslie Dwyer & Charles Hawtrey)
Sailor Beware
Carry On Regardless

And since that's only five films to last me a fortnight, I'd have the box sets of the Beiderbecke Trilogy & the Booze Cruise for a little further light entertainment to back those up.

Note to self..................I must use the search more often. :$

As far as I know it wasn't actually supposed to be comedy either!

Quote: Aaron @ 28th August 2020, 12:25 AM

As far as I know it wasn't actually supposed to be comedy either!

Have you moved this? It is a comedy film........................

Kynaston Reeves, Charles Hawtrey and Leslie Dwyer certainly played it for laughs, especially Hawtrey, and I quote the listing on IMDb :-

Genres: Comedy | Crime | Drama
A bizarre attempt at a humorous murder mystery.

I have moved it, yes.

IMDb is user-contributed and editable, and not reliable. The BFI classify the film simply as crime.

Quote: Aaron @ 28th August 2020, 10:38 AM

I have moved it, yes.

IMDb is user-contributed and editable, and not reliable. The BFI classify the film simply as crime.

and moi? :(

I can't win - Comedy films I don't find funny, and films that are funny are not. :P

I'll have you know mush, I'm distantly related to Barry Norman Cool :D