Strained Relationships: Hylda Baker & Jimmy Jewel

Another gem from Graham McCann.

Who was to blame, if any? Both of them as bad as each other I should say, as I imagine Hylda was a difficult woman to deal with, having had so many disappointments in her personal life, and I did read somewhere, years ago, that Jimmy didn't always get on with his comedy partner of Ben Warris - it seemed there was little love between them these cousins, both on and off stage. So was it Jimmy who was the awkward one?

https://www.comedy.co.uk/features/comedy_chronicles/strained-relationships-hylda-baker-and-jimmy-jewel/

It's been well documented that they didn't get on.
I've read that Hilda always thought she was a cut above.
All fur coat and chauffeur driven Rolls Royce.I

Probably didn't help as she carried on through undiagnosed dementia.
You can see in the later episodes that she stumbled a lot over her lines, even though there were cue cards discretely placed averywhere .
I've had a mother-in-law and aunty with it and both said really nasty things to everybody before being diagnosed.

Don't know anything about their relationship or either of them so will read the article now. I remember vague glimpses of Hylda Baker in one or two sitcoms and she was always playing an overbearing dragon type. Seemed to be heavily reliant on catch phrases so I veered away, being a follower of the John Cleese anti catch phrase philosophy (although he used catch phrases in FT).

But recently watched a repeat of an early Film 4 comedy drama and he played a very stubborn and difficult to work with groundsman very convincingly. Ok I'll read it now. Morning.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 15th August 2020, 10:41 AM

...................... being a follower of the John Cleese anti catch phrase philosophy (although he used catch phrases in FT).

When asked what the three golden rules of comedy were, he said No puns, No puns and No puns - YET, ISIRTA was nearly all puns and catchphrases, so he was a hypocrite too.