The Captain's Paradise (1953)

I was thinking and hoping this was going to appear on TPTV as I had it on my wants list so it saved me a fiver for the DVD. Good film though and worth a look.

Sailors have a girl in every port as they say, and this is the premise of this film, with the brilliant Alec Guinness as the captain of a small ship/ferry that sails between Gibraltar, where he has Celia Johnson as his faithful homely wife, and Morocco where Yvonne de Carlo is his hot good time girlfriend - a situation he has maintained for a number of years. He seems to have it all in his "paradise" BUT eventually his wife wants something more out of life and his girlfriend wants to marry and settle down.

Hilarious casting with the great Bill Fraser in dark make up and fez as a Moroccan taxi driver driving of all things a LHD Mk1 Ford Consul (my first car!!) and Peter Bull also a "Moroccan" firing squad captain (the film opens with Alec Guinness facing a firing squad!). In it there's also Miles Malleson and Michael Balfour as a Moroccan customs officer.