The Sausage Thread

I keep seeing posts about sausages in other threads and thought it might be a good idea to have a dedicated thread.

I like Chipolatas in sarnies but the ultimate banger for me is a Cumberland Sausage hotdog, with fried onions on top, which I have all too rarely and need to rectify this.

I haven't knowingly tried it but I've heard good things about the Cambridge Sausage, which I believe is popular on Bonfire night as a winter warmer sausage. If someone could confirm to me it's worth hunting down, then great. Morning.

Oh the vegans won't like this...

I've heard Mr. Spock is quite understanding.

I've tried vegan bangers, not for me.
We have a local farm shop that make their own.
You can watch him make them as you queue.
He narrates the whole process, showing the customers the lean meat as he puts it through the various mincers.
They are to die for.

What the sausages or the queue.

I made some cheddar & jalapeno beef sausages a few weeks ago and they were a big hit at the neighborhood party. I made them from brisket, chuck, and a little pork belly for some extra fat, then they were smoked over oak for a couple of hours.

I'd like to make more, but beef prices have doubled, so I'll stick to pork sausages because a butt still costs about $2/lb.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 18th July 2020, 10:49 AM

I've heard good things about the Cambridge Sausage

Just finished stuffing some bacon/beef/pork/cheddar/jalapeno sausages. I'll let them dry overnight in the fridge and tomorrow I'll smoke them for a few hours over oak.

The bacon was one pound of trimmings from my home-cured and smoked bacon. The pork was a butt/shoulder, and the beef was brisket. I fried up a patty of the leftovers and it tasted like a bacon/cheese/jalapeno cheeseburger. It'll be even better with some smoke on it.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 18th July 2020, 11:24 AM

I've heard Mr. Spock is quite understanding.

I always hated Just Good Friends.

You can't beat a nice pork and Bramley apple sausage.

You can roast it though.

I had a winter of over indulging in Gregg's sausage rolls,scarred me for life.

Quote: playfull @ 28th July 2020, 3:25 PM

You can't beat a nice pork and Bramley apple sausage.

I've never seen Bramley apples in the States, but I've had my eye on a pork and apple sausage recipe. Getting ready to grind up 8 pounds of Thurlaston sausages. I have some rusk baking in the oven, as it can't really be found here, either.

Just finished grinding and packaging 4 pounds of mild Italian sausage and 4 pounds of breakfast sausage. It's my standard maple breakfast sausage recipe, but I roasted a few Hatch chiles and mixed them in for a little extra flavor and heat.

Hatch chiles are grown in Hatch, New Mexico, and my local supermarket chain goes crazy with them this time of year. There's always a gas-fired roaster out front and inside they sell Hatch cookies, ice cream, beer, cheese, potato chips, etc.

Here's the pork shoulder/butt before I ground it all up into loose sausage:

Isn't it easier to just buy them from the supermarket?