Lady Godiva Rides Again (1951)

"Bikini Baby" bleedin' Yank title

This was better comedy romp than I expected and have to say I really enjoyed it, and actually burst out laughing when George Cole (boyfriend/ex-boyfriend) of the beauty in question, a very pretty Pauline Stroud (still alive apparently, now 90 years old!), was dismissed as an unsuitable beau for her 'cos of where he worked on the dairy counter, as only a "butter slapper at the Coop" Laughing out loud Those of us on here will know what that means!

Anyway, a veritable feast of stars including an uncredited Joan Collins as one of the beauty queens (that no one is able to spot - I have to admit I didn't) AND of all people Ruth Ellis (!!) who was the last woman to be hanged, and by an odd twist of fate Diana Dors (who was the Bikini Baby in question - bloody awful bikini!) sort of played Ruth in the excellent "Yield to the Night", which was loosely based on Ruth Ellis.

Anyway, there was also (some uncredited) Dennis Price, Stanley Holloway, Eddie Byrne, Kay Kendall, Renee Houston, Dora Bryan, Sid James, Arthur Howard, Richard Wattis, Trevor Howard, Leslie Mitchell, Alastair Sim, Googie Withers and Jimmy Young as himself.

Very Good film - watch it if you can.

Diana was touted as the British Marilyn, wasn't she? But she could really act. "Yield to the Night" is a good example of that.

Her Jocasta was legendary.

Quote: john tregorran @ 29th June 2020, 7:03 AM

Diana was touted as the British Marilyn, wasn't she?

She was, indeed.

However, that was about as sensible as touting Russ Conway as the British Jerry Lee Lewis.

Diana and Marilyn had the same body parts, just as Russ and Jerry Lee had the same body parts.

However, in both cases, that's where the similarity ended.

Quote: john tregorran @ 29th June 2020, 7:03 AM

Diana was touted as the British Marilyn, wasn't she? But she could really act. "Yield to the Night" is a good example of that.

Yes she was, but I think she knocked spots off Marilyn in both looks and certainly acting - even as a 16 year old in "Dancing with Crime" which I reviewed just this last Saturday, you could spot the talent then, and yes she was superb in "Yield to the Night", forsaking make-up and glamour, yet she didn't rate it as one of her best films for some reason.

Also, she was perfect in the part of the domineering mother who kept the neighbour's tongues wagging, in Queenie's Castle.............

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/31761/

George Cole recalls the film in his autobiography, mentioning all the mainstream trivia about his fellow cast members, but he reveals precious few inside stories/impressions. His main memory of filming seems to be his failed effort to bust open a sturdy door.