'Galton and Simpson' BBC Sit Com Comp!

https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/5753/galton-and-simpson-bursary/

Who's entering?

A bursary is more like a job than a competition (you could think of it as a course as well) you don't win so much as be selected for the amount of money. That's when the hard work begins.

It may sound pedantic, but it might help if you to pass the test.

Quote: playfull @ 5th May 2020, 4:48 PM

https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/5753/galton-and-simpson-bursary/

Who's entering?

Still haven't made my mind up on this. I'm always cautious of sending a whole series treatment off to people. It's tempting unscrupulous types with a lot of free sweeties. The G&S honour is spot on if a bit belated but how will shortlisting four non studio comedy dramas be in any way true to their legacy? I see nothing about the format or the content needing to follow a typical G&S blueprint.

It will be oversubscribed by the usual punters, many from abroad, many already pros. The anonymity when reading them thing just tends to favour commissioned professionals. And only ONE will get the bursary and there is no entitlement of a commission of even a pilot, just 'consideration' of it. The Beeb not exactly offering the crown jewels, as ever.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 25th May 2020, 1:07 PM

but how will shortlisting four non studio comedy dramas be in any way true to their legacy? I see nothing about the format or the content needing to follow a typical G&S blueprint.

I thought similar. But i suppose they changed perception of what a sit com's could achieve, in their time, and it is that that is being celebrated.

The G&S honour is spot on if a bit belated but how will shortlisting four non studio comedy dramas be in any way true to their legacy?

It's mainly about it being an honour rather a call for some sort of return to a golden age of comedy, surely?
They give out The Olivier Awards every year but they don't expect to dole them out exclusively to shouty over-actors.

Yes that seems to be but why? This was an opportunity to restrict entries to studio sitcoms only, with the focus on making viewers laugh with vivid characters and good dialogue. It won't be long before the 'trad' sas is dead if they don't preserve an inlet for it. They keep saying at BBC WR they don't see enough studio sitcom scripts coming in so why not promote a dedicated source of them?

Anyone else just get the rejection letter?
Actually, there was one week I didn't get rejected from Newsjack. It was the week I didn't submit.

No, I didn't want to wait for an inevitable rejection. One script out of the thousands the Beeb usually get (because it's free entry) won the development bursary, great odds. I will however be enquiring to see if it ever gets developed.

Still haven't made my mind up on this. I'm always cautious of sending a whole series treatment off to people. It's tempting unscrupulous types with a lot of free sweeties.

Just like you, every other writer out there has their own idea that they believe to be an unrecognised work of genius. So why would they bother nicking yours?

There's really no need to be precious about this stuff. Competitions are, as good as never, looking for a complete script - or even idea - to cast up and point a camera at: they're looking for the author's talent.

Quote: Aaron @ 15th November 2020, 1:45 PM

Just like you, every other writer out there has their own idea that they believe to be an unrecognised work of genius. So why would they bother nicking yours?

Really? I doubt you've met the shysters I have then. And I'd have thought the number of requests for writing partners on here might suggest there's plenty who don't have their own ideas.

As I said... Each rejection is just one step closer. To the next rejection.