The Wrecking Crew

Yes I was expecting a documentary about the session musicians but it turns out to be a Dean Martin spy film.

Interesting cast. Elke Sommer who I recognised from the Pink Panther film a Shot in the Dark. Typical of the 1960s with various glamorous women in states of undress.

Quote: Chappers @ 4th April 2020, 9:32 PM

various glamorous women in states of undress.

It shouldn't be allowed! :O

Having said that, I do remember watching "The Wrecking Crew" and thinking how very much against the odds it was that, when Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis split up, it would be Dean who went on to enjoy the greater success.

I can't remember any other occasion upon which a traditional comedy double act of straight man and funnyman has split up and subsequently it was the straight man who became the bigger solo star.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 4th April 2020, 9:36 PM

It shouldn't be allowed! :O

Having said that, I do remember watching "The Wrecking Crew" and thinking how very much against the odds it was that, when Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis split up, it would be Dean who went on to enjoy the greater success.

I can't remember any other occasion upon which a traditional comedy double act of straight man and funnyman has split up and subsequently it was the straight man who became the bigger solo star.

It might have something to do with sexual attraction. I'm as straight as the next man (not sure who that is) but I would think that Dean Martin is much more sexy and attractive to women.

It also features Sharon Tate who met an unfortunate end.

Extremely attractive but they make her wear glasses which is supposed to make her plain.

Quote: Chappers @ 4th April 2020, 9:50 PM

Extremely attractive but they make her wear glasses which is supposed to make her plain.

One can hardly question the belief that glasses make a beautiful woman look as plain as a pikestaff.

I mean, they made Superman totally unrecognisable!

On the subject of Dean Martin, I do know that in his heyday in Vegas, there was a time when he would tell a joke on stage and the audience would fall about laughing. Frank Sinatra, watching this happen, would sometimes ask Dean if he could tell the joke the following night.

The following night, Frank would tell the same joke and it would barely get a titter.

When he asked Dean why that was, Dean simply smiled and said, "You're not funny, Frank."

I don't think I would have been brave enough to say that to Frank, as true as it was.

Another bit of Dean Martin trivia is that when, in 1964, to the astonishment of the global music industry, he knocked the Beatles "A Hard Day's Night" off the number one spot in the Billboard music charts with his rather old-fashioned-sounding "Everybody Loves Somebody", he sent a telegram to Elvis saying "If you can't handle the Beatles, I'll do it for you."

The Fab Four must've seen Dean Martin as a one-man wrecking crew! Laughing out loud

Dean could act, sing and be sexy,all in a very relaxed sort of way.
Men wanted to be him and women wanted to be with him.

Quote: Chappers @ 4th April 2020, 9:32 PM

Interesting cast. Elke Sommer who I recognised from the Pink Panther film a Shot in the Dark. Typical of the 1960s with various glamorous women in states of undress.

Pink Panther, Wrecking Crew, Carry On Behind - the woman had a gift for comedy as well looking sizzlingly sexy. I wonder who she was attracted to the most, Dean Martin or Kenneth Williams? I'm going for Professor Crumpet.

Spotted another Carry On link, well heard it. Who else noticed the exact same music score from Carry On Camping of about the same time. I wonder which one nicked it? Or was it written for both? Eh?