Help an old, forgetful man identify his ear-worm.

I'm trying to remember where I saw/heard a comedy rap song. Probably well over a decade ago.

It's an deliberately terrible little rap song, where a male rapper repeatedly asks stuff such as "What's my name?" and "Who's my friend?" and chanted replies come from another voice or set of voices.

I think at one point his "friend" is identified by the second voice as "the little black dog".

It think the song just kinda fizzles out as the people providing the second voice become confused and disappointed by how bizarre the lyrics are getting.

I can't remember when I heard it. I assume a very long time ago. I can't remember whether it was a video or audio clip. I can't even remember whether it was a British or American comedian. Or a pro or an amateur. To be honest, the dog might not have even been black. Or a dog.

My instincts are that it might have been Tim and Eric, or Wonder Showzen, or maybe Robert Popper, but Google is failing me on all counts.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? This ear-worm is driving me insane.

Goldie Lookin Chain (Welsh) and Flight of the Concord (New Zealand) have both done a few rap parodies. As has "Weird Al" Yankovic. If the song wasn't funny it's probably the latter.

Quote: Firkin @ 30th March 2020, 6:17 PM

Goldie Lookin Chain (Welsh) and Flight of the Concord (New Zealand) have both done a few rap parodies. As has "Weird Al" Yankovic. If the song wasn't funny it's probably the latter.

Oh! Good point. I hadn't considered it might be some actual musicians. Never heard any Concord before. Definitely wasn't Yankovic. But I was a bit of a GLC fan back in the day, so that's quite possible. Will have to research some more. Thanks!

Still can't find it.

Help!

It sounded like it could be a parody of the 1993 Snoop Dogg track Who Am I so could it have been a sketch from this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doggy_Fizzle_Televizzle

Never seen it before and never even heard of it until just now but it's possible.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 30th March 2020, 9:53 PM

It sounded like it could be a parody of the 1993 Snoop Dogg track Who Am I so could it have been a sketch from this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doggy_Fizzle_Televizzle

Never seen it before and never even heard of it until just now but it's possible.

I don't think it was that, but thanks for the idea!

"What's my name?"

"[a funny thing]"

"Who's my friend?"

"The little black dog."

An old man? Do you think you will be joining this group full time then?

I just remembered that it also features the lyrics "slash a horse, now slash him again". Again, no joy from Google.

I think it might have been Charlie Brooker.

Pretty sure that the character's name was Davey Venn. He was sort of a shit wedding DJ type with a mid-Atlantic accent.

I think I must have heard the song maybe twenty years ago.

It came from a sketch from the TV adaptation of Charlie Brooker's TV Go Home. It was a parody of the "I Remember 1990 etc" talking head clip shows which were prevalent at the time. It began by reminiscing about a hit song called Do The Venn by Davey Venn which featured the lyrics:

Do the Venn, now do it again
Venn dance is real crazy
Venn dance is real crazy

What's my name? Davey Venn
Who's my friend? Your little black dog
What do I see? You see a tree
What's my favourite drink? Milk

It later mentioned his two, less successful follow-ups, both with identical tunes - one "make some tea, now make it again" then the disastrous "slash a horse, now slash it again".

Zeppotron went on to put one track, mixing together all three, up on their website as a download.

I think all TV Go Homes are available on YouTube but not sure which episode it was taken from, I'm afraid.

Quote: Matt Withers @ 3rd June 2020, 4:33 PM

It came from a sketch from the TV adaptation of Charlie Brooker's TV Go Home. It was a parody of the "I Remember 1990 etc" talking head clip shows which were prevalent at the time. It began by reminiscing about a hit song called Do The Venn by Davey Venn which featured the lyrics:

Venn dance is real crazy
Venn dance is real crazy

What's my name? Davey Venn
Who's my friend? Your little black dog
What do I see? You see a tree
What's my favourite drink? Milk

It later mentioned his two, less successful follow-ups, both with identical tunes - one "make some tea, now make it again" then the disastrous "slash a horse, now slash it again".

Zeppotron went on to put one track, mixing together all three, up on their website as a download.

I think all TV Go Homes are available on YouTube but not sure which episode it was taken from, I'm afraid.

That's exactly it. I'd pretty much nailed down that it was a Brooker thing from a very long time ago. I don't think I ever saw the TV show at the time, so I must have picked up the MP3 from somewhere.

Thanks a lot, Matt :)

Being a huge fan of Brooker, following his career since the original TV Go Home web site, I thought I'd better watch the show (which somehow I don't think I knew existed until today).

Not his finest hour. Seems like it was written by a man in the grip of a crippling post-breakup depression. Dark as f**k. Definitely worked better in print.

Interesting to see him in his (to the best of my knowledge) only acting roles.

Venn makes his first appearance in episode 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwu2B3gf6T4