Is There a County Which Has Not Produced a Famous Comedian? Page 5

OK. I'm going for Robert Evans for Monmouthshire. "Which Robert Evans?" you may ask. The one who was born in Abergavenny and wrote multiple episodes of the BAFTA winning SKY One comedy drama, 'Stella' across six series.

106. Monmouthshire - Robert Evans.

Which leaves us with four to get - one in England and three in Scotland.

107. Angus - Enn Reitel.

I realise now that we did have someone from South Ayrshire as previously posted so that accounts for what seemed to be an arithmetical discrepancy.

This means that we are down to just two.

The final is Rutland v Orkney Islands.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 29th January 2020, 9:18 AM

107. Angus - Enn Reitel.

A very worthy incumbent too. Whatever happened to him?

Quote: A Horseradish @ 29th January 2020, 9:18 AM

The final is Rutland v Orkney Islands.

It's Rutland Horse. Said that at the start. A county that has only just allowed a MacDonalds to open, against bitter opposition still...the NIMBY capital of GB.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 29th January 2020, 9:29 AM

A very worthy incumbent too. Whatever happened to him?

It's Rutland Horse. Said that at the start. A county that has only just allowed a MacDonalds to open, against bitter opposition still...the NIMBY capital of GB.

Haha. Very good. I like it but until it's proven it won't be proven. That requires someone to emerge from Orkney. I do have quite a positive memory of Rutland actually. I was working as a junior - I was always a junior - in water industry policy. It was as dull as it sounds. That two year period was my worst ever performance. On occasions, I was required to travel to other parts of the country. Normally I like seeing new places but it was just to meetings involving financial types in suits. I didn't understand them plus there were problems. The train I was on back from Leeds when I had visited Bradford caught fire. There were flames in my carriage and we all had to get into another one as it carried on precariously to Peterborough.

Anyhow, after that, I had to go to Severn Trent I think it was : it was over 20 years ago but the Trent bit suggests it was them. Another dull meeting. A dull meal with them in a pub. And then they took me off for a "mystery" afternoon and it turned out that the location was Rutland Water. We got out of the cars and were plonked directly onto a trailer attached to a tractor and set off. I thought "this is brilliant and much more me - I can pretend I am on Countryfile or similar". This thought was confirmed when we got to an elaborate hut and met people who spend their lives monitoring osprey movements. Not that there was any humour in them. In fact, their regime involved long days of being forbidden to talk,

As for Enn Reitel, not sure but he claims that his name is an anagram of his real name but what? Ernie Lent seems unlikely.

(Just as a reminder, then, Rutland v Orkney Islands)

Quote: A Horseradish @ 29th January 2020, 9:41 AM

As for Enn Reitel, not sure but he claims that his name is an anagram of his real name

It's very likely it's his real name: his family are Estonian and "Enn" is a traditional name for a boy in Estonia.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 29th January 2020, 2:33 PM

It's very likely it's his real name: his family are Estonian and "Enn" is a traditional name for a boy in Estonia.

So it's not Neil Rente then?

The game ends with a draw.

Neither Orkney nor Rutland has anyone who qualifies.

Oddly, these are also the two counties where people as a whole are outnumbered by three dominant tribes which are especially bad for global warming. In Orkney, it's sheep, wild haggis and all powerful Liberal Democrats. In Rutland, it's birdwatchers, American burgers and Uppingham's public schoolboys. No wonder there isn't a single soul who titters.