Labour Party leadership: who follows Corbyn? Page 4

A worthy sentiment but EVERYBODY woukd need to subscribe.

Quote: Briosaid @ 24th December 2019, 10:53 PM

A worthy sentiment but EVERYBODY would need to subscribe.

D'oh! >_<

I knew it wouldn't be as easy as I thought!

Quote: Rood Eye @ 24th December 2019, 10:24 PM

Perhaps we should all be making a New Year's resolution - specifically to be a bit more careful when posting and, in general, to be a lot nicer to each other in 2020?

You know it makes sense. Cool

I'm all for it..

Quote: Briosaid @ 24th December 2019, 10:53 PM

A worthy sentiment but EVERYBODY woukd need to subscribe.

Indeed.

Meanwhile, current best odds for next Labour leader:

8/13 Keir Starmer
4/1 Rebecca Long-Bailey
14/1 Lisa Nandy
16/1 Yvette Cooper
25/1 Jess Phillips
33/1 Clive Lewis

It's not just Labour. If the Liberals had any sense they'd try to benefit from the demise of the Labour Party by trying some more sensible policies. Forget Brexit - it's going to happen so they need to start thinking about popular ideas.

Wrong Daily just seems like a frantic schoolgirl. Jess Is apparently standing. She seems quite normal when I've seen her on HIGNFY.

Rebecca Long-Bailey finds herself under fire today because she lives in what newspapers are describing as "a plush home" in "one of Manchester's wealthiest suburbs" while purporting to be a champion of the working class.

Her four-bedroom semi-detached house is certainly very nice but I know the area well and it is most certainly not one of Manchester's wealthiest suburbs.

I mention its semi-detached status because I can find no mention of it in any of the newspaper reports which are, I suspect, intended to make readers believe they are looking at a photograph of one house.

Also, I should point out that the length of the driveway is exaggerated by the wide-angle lens used to take the photo.

There are towns and villages surrounding Manchester whose very names are synonymous with "money" but Monton and Ellesmere Park are not in that illustrious group.

Newspaper articles say her neighbours include judges and barristers and football players: if that's true, they must be exceedingly minor judges, barristers and football players.

When I first saw the photograph, my immediate impression was that whoever lives in that house obviously takes a decidedly laid-back approach to the maintenance of the garden and the driveway.

It's a decent area but it's a long way from being posh and it's a million miles away from being exclusive.

Personally, I wouldn't support her as leader of the Labour Party - much less as Prime Minister - but, to be fair, I think she's perfectly entitled to live where she does. She's a relatively ordinary working-class woman who's done fairly well for herself and, in living where she does, she can't possibly be described as lording (ladying?) it over the average Labour voter in her constituency.

It's a nice house in a decent area but it's nothing special: the house isn't plush, the grounds need work and the area isn't among Manchester's wealthiest.

Clearly, the knives are out for Rebecca.

Not special? It certainly doesn't resemble the 'tenement single end' with shared toilet (3 families) on the outside landing where I spent the first 8 and a half years of my life.

Keir Starmer increasing looks the best bet to lead a credible opposition, so he definitely won't be chosen.

Quote: chipolata @ 11th January 2020, 10:35 AM

Keir Starmer increasing looks the best bet to lead a credible opposition, so he definitely won't be chosen.

That, of course, is the problem with the current Labour activists. They are more interested in being a party of protest than they are of being a potential credible government.

Even this post of 14 December on these very forums was more concerned with who would make an excellent leader of the opposition rather than who would make an excellent future Prime Minister.

Quote: beaky @ 14th December 2019, 11:07 AM

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned David Lammy - he'd be an excellent Leader of the Opposition.

Maybe bring back Chuka? he's not moved parties for at least a fortnight now..

Len McCluskey is starting to fancy Lisa Nandy-Pandy.

Being Labour, it's not going to happen as she is so obviously the (only) (almost) right choice.

As I with characteristically modest realism flagged up a few posts ago when nobody had ever heard of her.

But then I was in my younger days a very good friend of her brother, Andy Nandy-Pandy.

We were a gang. Him, me, Teddy, Just William and Harold Wilson.

And strangely, long before the Princes, the Royal wave was acquired by Her Majesty the Queen from Andy and Teddy. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxCKELNKFlQ

Jess Phillips says 'Carry On Corbyn' would be a disaster. She'd be my choice, not afraid of the Corbynistas running the party. Sir Sensible Starmer won't dare be as forthright and will be nice to everyone even though he doesn't mean it. He'll be one of the dullest leaders of the opposition ever. A male London living knight bachelor barrister in the very mould of Tony Blair who says he's not a millionaire when his assets say he is. He'll also be banging on about Brexit all the time. This and beating four women to the job when they've yet to have one will cause as much friction in the party as lefty loony Corbyn did. Labour are disaster bound still.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 10th January 2020, 7:15 PM

Rebecca Long-Bailey finds herself under fire today because she lives in what newspapers are describing as "a plush home" in "one of Manchester's wealthiest suburbs" while purporting to be a champion of the working class.

Her four-bedroom semi-detached house is certainly very nice but I know the area well and it is most certainly not one of Manchester's wealthiest suburbs.

I mention its semi-detached status because I can find no mention of it in any of the newspaper reports which are, I suspect, intended to make readers believe they are looking at a photograph of one house.

Also, I should point out that the length of the driveway is exaggerated by the wide-angle lens used to take the photo.

There are towns and villages surrounding Manchester whose very names are synonymous with "money" but Monton and Ellesmere Park are not in that illustrious group.

Newspaper articles say her neighbours include judges and barristers and football players: if that's true, they must be exceedingly minor judges, barristers and football players.

When I first saw the photograph, my immediate impression was that whoever lives in that house obviously takes a decidedly laid-back approach to the maintenance of the garden and the driveway.

It's a decent area but it's a long way from being posh and it's a million miles away from being exclusive.

Personally, I wouldn't support her as leader of the Labour Party - much less as Prime Minister - but, to be fair, I think she's perfectly entitled to live where she does. She's a relatively ordinary working-class woman who's done fairly well for herself and, in living where she does, she can't possibly be described as lording (ladying?) it over the average Labour voter in her constituency.

It's a nice house in a decent area but it's nothing special: the house isn't plush, the grounds need work and the area isn't among Manchester's wealthiest.

Clearly, the knives are out for Rebecca.

Nice and decent area? Manchester? Come on now.

Quote: Briosaid @ 10th January 2020, 7:37 PM

Not special? It certainly doesn't resemble the 'tenement single end' with shared toilet (3 families) on the outside landing where I spent the first 8 and a half years of my life.

Luxury.

Quote: Chappers @ 17th January 2020, 10:12 PM

Luxury.

Right enough when so many of us live in caves. :(

But has it got a hidden garden that was designed by Gertrude Jekyll?