Labour Party leadership: who follows Corbyn? Page 3

Rebecca Long-Bailey's story about having been born to the roar from the Stretford End at Manchester United's ground has already been mentioned but the story she published in an election leaflet about having grown up watching her father worrying about the prospect of redundancy at Salford Docks is equally puzzling.

She said, "'My dad, Jimmy, worked on the Salford docks and I grew up watching him worrying when round after round of redundancies were inflicted on the docks.'

Rebecca was born in September 1979 and Salford Docks closed permanently in 1982 when she would have been just two years and some months old.

Clearly, she was a remarkably observant little baby.

That Emily Thornbury is really scarey.

She reminds me of somebody I know (and not in a good way).

Suddenly there's a dozen MPs saying they might run for leader but still haven't declared. No wonder they need 3 months. This is a mistake for a start, that's a quarter of the time the Govt. will be negotiating a trade deal, with Corbyn still in charge. Everything Labour does is long winded and bureaucratic a bit like the EU. Then we've got the infighting between the left and the right of the party again. They needed a quick interim leader like the deputy to step in but he left. They lost the election because they are a shambles with no credibility at all.

Alfred the elections over and you won. Why not use your time to highlight all the good things that are coming our way? That would be very informative for people like me who suspect that the biggest shot storm in peace time is heading our way. And as far as I can see the only people prepared for it is Ree's Mogg and his offshore mob.

I know that India has done a deal in principal via Pritti Patel so that 100,000 middle class Indians a month will qualify for visas under the system she has set in place.
But apart from a 100,000 Commonwealth citizens a month and the total deconstruction of the 'Just In time System' that we took years perfecting, I could do with hearing more.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 23rd December 2019, 5:10 PM

Alfred the elections over and you won. Why not use your time to highlight all the good things that are coming our way? That would be very informative for people like me who suspect that the biggest shot storm in peace time is heading our way. And as far as I can see the only people prepared for it is Ree's Mogg and his offshore mob.

I know that India has done a deal in principal via Pritti Patel so that 100,000 middle class Indians a month will qualify for visas under the system she has set in place.
But apart from a 100,000 Commonwealth citizens a month and the total deconstruction of the 'Just In time System' that we took years perfecting, I could do with hearing more.

Ditto.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 23rd December 2019, 5:10 PM

And as far as I can see the only people prepared for it is Ree's Mogg and his offshore mob.

The question has to be asked. Who exactly is Ree and why does he possess a Mogg?

Bunter I'm awfully sorry I was in a rush, but it's all calm now as the Turkey is in the oven.
My problem is that I see this as a place were people converse about things and I as have already stated several times, I have had no formal education , so I am easy target in that respect .
However on the savvy front I'm all there so I don't mind if you need something like an apostrophe or a missing letter to make the front of your trousers feel all funny and warm for Christmas.
However seeing that you are trawling the boards and waiting to pounce could you actually address the issue raised? Or do you only do grammar put downs to deflect from topics that you haven't actually grasped?

Anyway in the spirit of goodwill:
::::::::::::::::
:::::::::::::::
Hears sum grammor ewe can have, their off me quayboard there knot kneeded bye me.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 24th December 2019, 11:13 AM

However seeing that you are trawling the boards and waiting to pounce could you actually address the issue raised? Or do you only do grammar put downs to deflect from topics that you haven't actually grasped?

I made a comment on this issue back on 15 December. There's no point in saying the same thing again & again when there is nothing more to add. The problem is that, when one does address the issue with a view different to your own, rather than engage in any kind of meaningful debate or accept that the contrary view has some merit, one merely gets accused, both condescendingly and insultingly, of being "so blinkered & limited that the Tweenies would go over your head", of being "below child-like" or, as you now say, not having "actually grasped" the topic. So I thought perhaps you would prefer me to stick to something that I have grasped, such as the English language.

Anyway, as you rightly say, Happy Christmas. :)

You know what Billy I've had a few boosts of off people on this page when I've hit a low and I don't want to ruin that side of things so I'll claim you as the winner as I don't want it to go right down hill as it is Christmas Eve.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 24th December 2019, 1:48 PM

I made a comment on this issue back on 15 December. There's no point in saying the same thing again & again when there is nothing more to add. The problem is that, when one does address the issue with a view different to your own, rather than engage in any kind of meaningful debate or accept that the contrary view has some merit, one merely gets accused, both condescendingly and insultingly, of being "so blinkered & limited that the Tweenies would go over your head", of being "below child-like" or, as you now say, not having "actually grasped" the topic. So I thought perhaps you would prefer me to stick to something that I have grasped, such as the English language.

Anyway, as you rightly say, Happy Christmas. :)

You do tend to go out of your way to troll people on grammar and spelling mistakes. And it is very noticeable you tend to troll the people you dislike. If you get pleasure out of that, fine, but it does help create a petty hostile atmosphere on a forum that is, let's be honest, dying on its arse and nowhere near as fun as it used to be. Other than that, Happy Christmas!

It would be less than constructive (to say the very least) to trawl through past posts looking for instances where personal animosity clearly outweigh any comedic considerations when one member is having a pop at another member.

Restricting myself to Teddy's post and Billy's reply (both above), I am entirely satisfied that three things are true:

1. Teddy's misspelling of "Rees-Mogg" was clearly accidental. I'm sure most of us have made similar errors from time to time.

2. Billy was simply being funny. He knew it was an accident and that it was not Teddy's intention to write what he actually wrote. Accordingly, Billy was perfectly entitled by the rules of civilised comedy forum activity to make the amusing remark that he did. In making that remark, he was pointing out Teddy's error but was not suggesting any fault on Teddy's part other than a little carelessness. His intention was simply to make a funny remark based upon the meaning of "Ree's Mogg" - i.e. "the Mogg belonging to Ree".

3. There is, therefore, no evidence of personal animosity or of any form of spitefulness on Billy's part.

It was a joke - and, as jokes on BCG have sometimes been known to go, quite a pleasant one.

Rood it may well have been and it's gone right over my head, god knows it wouldn't be the first time that's happened. But as Chip said this forum is dying on it's feet as it is without grammar snipers waiting in the wings.
Comedy is subjective so you and many others may well enjoy the quippy side of insults that designed to belittle whilst elevating, like a two bob Freudian parlour trick.
But for others it just makes the forum look boring and bereft of genuine conversation. It's how so many others have died 'Not with a bang but with a wimp' ,

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 24th December 2019, 8:49 PM

Rood it may well have been and it's gone right over my head, god knows it wouldn't be the first time that's happened. But as Chip said this forum is dying on it's feet as it is without grammar snipers waiting in the wings.
Comedy is subjective so you and many others may well enjoy the quippy side of insults that designed to belittle whilst elevating, like a two bob Freudian parlour trick.
But for others it just makes the forum look boring and bereft of genuine conversation. It's how so many others have died 'Not with a bang but with a wimp' ,

Yes, there are a number of smart arses who contribute bugger all except criticism.

If there's one thing almost everybody on BCG knows, it's how easily and how quickly an online disagreement (and often a very simple misunderstanding) can escalate into a nuclear war.

When it comes to making jokes at other people's expense (which is, after all, what most comedy is about), even a quip made with the most good-natured and innocent of intentions can hit the other person like a spear in the eye. I've done that more times than I can count. Believe me, I'm far better at offending people accidentally than I've ever been at offending them deliberately.

Perhaps we should all be making a New Year's resolution - specifically to be a bit more careful when posting and, in general, to be a lot nicer to each other in 2020?

You know it makes sense. Cool