New guy

I am an aspiring writer of comedy (sitcom, sketches, film) with a little background in film. I have independently made a few shorts and am currently working on a web series with a couple of episodes out already.

I recently joined BCG before entering The First Laugh Comedy Competition (anyone here enter or know when the winners will be announced?) and have just discovered this forum. It looks right up my street as a comedy fan and creator.

As well as gaining some insight and discussing comedy I would really like to share some of my work and get as much criticism as possible. Would you suggest posting episodes in the 'Showcase' section for this?

If you'd like to browse some of my stuff here's the Youtube channel of the web series: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDkfsS-ZfNZhndb4HMzWvxQ And here's my Vimeo with some short films: https://vimeo.com/jacktrowbridge

I hope that's not too spammy of an introduction. Cheers!

Hello Jack,

I've just watched two of your morsels and I'm confident that most people are going to take one of two views about your comedy.

There'll be the "What's funny about that?" reaction.

And there'll be the "This is good stuff!" reaction.

Me? I'm very firmly in Group 2.

I see no reason why you shouldn't put a few things in the Showcase thread: strictly speaking, it's not a thread for in-depth critiques but it's certainly a thread where people will tell you whether they like it, don't like it, get it or don't get it.

The Critique thread has a smaller readership than Showcase but it's the place for lengthier critiques.

Put something in both threads, if you like!

Cheers for giving them a watch Rood Eye, thanks for the positive feedback! The morsels are sort-of-but-not-exactly sketches, more snippets of the characters, so I don't expect big laughs from them. And thanks for the info, I think I'll pop an episode in the Showcase section and see if anyone watches, they're not exactly short so I don't expect a lot of views but I'd love to hear if people find it at all funny! Cheers.

Welcome Jack :) Will have a ganders at your videos.

Make yourself at home, Jack!

Quote: beaky @ 8th December 2019, 7:00 PM

Make yourself at home, Jack!

As a message to a new member, I like it very much.

As a song title, it needs work.