Dads and Sex, 1940s-1970s

Apart from Marlon Brando, is it true that most Dads weren't that sexual other than the occasional siring of kids, doing the duty four times a year and having the very occasional wank in the bathroom? I suspect that most were bisexual on acoount of having been in the war or on National Service but only emotionally, ie they would have run to the ends of the earth away from same sex body stuff. They seemed to live long by not feeling under pressure to ejaculate every five minutes. Or am I wrong? I'm kind of thinking that having your meals done for you by a woman was a great macho thing.

It's something I've never wanted to think about.
In some households these days it must be difficult to know who's being the father.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 8th December 2019, 1:55 AM

Apart from Marlon Brando, is it true that most Dads weren't that sexual other than the occasional siring of kids, doing the duty four times a year and . . .

Your reference to "dads" rather than to "men" suggests that you're asking about a man's sexual interest in his wife/partner rather than his sexual interest in women in general.

I could, I believe, write a very interesting response to that question but I am ever mindful of the risks of having a thread kick off like a fight in a Western saloon.

Human sexuality is a fascinating and complex subject.

I thought this was going to be about the sitcom trope that men are never interested in marital relations, much to their wives' distress. (George & Mildred, I Didn't Know You Cared, etc.)

It turned out far weirder.

I find this really weird. Are we saying men are undersexed if they want to be fathers? Have to say that's a load of shite.

Quote: Briosaid @ 8th December 2019, 9:00 PM

Are we saying men are undersexed if they want to be fathers?

I don't think that's what Horse is saying.

I'm not sure exactly what he's asking but it's seems clear to me that some men (whether fathers or non-fathers) are highly sexed, some are moderately sexed, some think it's quite nice but wouldn't rave about it, while others would much rather have a cup of tea.

There is, of course, a long-standing stereotype which has men wanting sex all the time.

In the not-so-distant past, there was a stereotype which had women not wanting sex at all and submitting to it, when not actively trying to conceive, only as victims of their husbands' lust.

I think it's true to say that neither stereotype is or ever was entirely accurate. Laughing out loud