Whose Line Is It Anyway?

Watching this the other day with Paul Merton and Tony Slattery (not literally) And I thought they were really great, great chemistry and performances.

I must've been about 13 or so when it finished? And I loved it but never really watched it as I would now and yeah, it was good.

:)

Memories...

Also watched an old episode of QI with Clive Anderson last night, didn't realise how quick and witty he was. Poor Linda Smith got pushed out of the way though.

I watched WLIIA? on Dave today :D Did I already say that on another thread? :S annnnyway! yeah I love the British version and the later American version :D

Dave's turning out to be a really good channel. Let's see if it'll be the same in a months time when you've seen all it's episodes though.

I found an old clip of Clive Anderson interviewing Jeffrey Archer a while back.

"Jeffrey Archer, is it fair to say that there is no beginning to your talents?"
"The old jokes are always the best, Clive."
"Yes, I've read your books."

've been enjoying WLIIA on Dave having seen the US version on Five US and one episode of the UK one on More4. One thing I think the UK one has an advantage over the US one is that they have different sets of performers per show compared to the US one which always seem to have Ryan and Colin which makes it fresher.

I would love to see it come back. I'm surprised Channel 4 or another channel haven't made an attempt on remaking the show. Let's face it all you need is a stage, a host, and four performers. Personally I think that Five should bring back WLIIA as part of the plans to launch a comedy block. I would think that it have to have a new host and performers though.

Quote: Leevil @ October 22, 2007, 5:39 PM

Dave's turning out to be a really good channel. Let's see if it'll be the same in a months time when you've seen all it's episodes though.

Thank you!

Incidentally I used to watch this every week and thought how incrediblt funny and talented everyone in it was - but it seems that improv is a regular part of theatre training and I see it in my group quite regularly.

I don't take part you understand - I'm not that funny.

Quote: Jonwo @ October 22, 2007, 7:55 PM

I would love to see it come back.

It's not quite the same as WLIIA but ITV1 are working on a pilot which, if it goes to series, could be a new outlet for improv comedy... https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/news.php?story=000230

And, here's Ross Noble on the Aussie version of Thank God You're Here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoae1T-uyuk

I loved watching this when it was on. Went to see it live too. Bloody hilarious. Laughing out loud

Was the first time I'd (and everyone else presumably) had come across Paul Merton and it was obvious even then that he was destined for much greater things.

Quote: Mark @ October 22, 2007, 8:54 PM

It's not quite the same as WLIIA but ITV1 are working on a pilot which, if it goes to series, could be a new outlet for improv comedy... https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/news.php?story=000230

And, here's Ross Noble on the Aussie version of Thank God You're Here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoae1T-uyuk

I've heard good things about Thank God You're Here from my Australian mates but I'm not sure if it would will work on ITV1, seems more of a BBC Two or Channel 4 sort of show.

Speaking of improv show, has anyone heard of the German improv comedy Schillerstrasse? i've seen clips on Youtube and it's a simple but very funny idea. Five did a pilot last year for a British version called In Your Ear with Neil Morrisey.

Quote: Jonwo @ October 22, 2007, 10:49 PM

Speaking of improv show, has anyone heard of the German improv comedy Schillerstrasse? i've seen clips on Youtube and it's a simple but very funny idea. Five did a pilot last year for a British version called In Your Ear with Neil Morrisey.

I tried watching a couple of those Schillerstrasse clips on YouTube but must admit I didn't get a word of it. Those three years of GCSE German learning I did were clearly well spent! :$

I heard about In Your Ear but I guess since we haven't seen anything since it hasn't been picked up?!? Then again, some Channel Five comedies have been in the making for years so perhaps it is still in the works.

Quote: Mark @ October 22, 2007, 11:29 PM

I tried watching a couple of those Schillerstrasse clips on YouTube but must admit I didn't get a word of it. Those three years of GCSE German learning I did were clearly well spent! :$

I heard about In Your Ear but I guess since we haven't seen anything since it hasn't been picked up?!? Then again, some Channel Five comedies have been in the making for years so perhaps it is still in the works.

True, I've heard they've commissioned and piloted a number of shows and have quite a few in development but due to their limited budget, they cannot make and show new comedy all year round.

In Your Ear, i suspect is still in the works.

Quote: Jonwo @ October 22, 2007, 7:55 PM

I would love to see it come back.

I've not seen it personally, but isn't Mock The Week essentially the new Whose Line is it Anyway?? Unless I'm completely misremembering, I think it was devised - and now produced by - the same guys who did WLIIA?.

Quote: Aaron @ October 22, 2007, 11:48 PM

I've not seen it personally, but isn't Mock The Week essentially the new Whose Line is it Anyway?? Unless I'm completely misremembering, I think it was devised - and now produced by - the same guys who did WLIIA?.

Mock the Week producer Mark Leveson was also the producer of WLIIA?, and Dan Patterson executive produced both shows too. There's probably other links there as well.

But I wouldn't say Mock the Week and WLIIA were similar. The latter was not topical or stand-up based, instead revolved around audience participation and improvisation.

This clip (from one of the later series) should give you a good idea of what it was like... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6TkHTVAP7M

(I randomly chose that clip... but un-surprisingly Paul Merton steals the show with his fast thinking)

Whose Line Is It Anyway? is probably closer to Radio 4's I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue now I think about it. Actually, it started off on Radio 4 itself come to think of it (it's a rare case of a comedy defecting away from BBC radio).

Quote: Jonwo @ October 22, 2007, 10:49 PM

It's not got that bloody German bloke on it, has it?
(Okay that's a little vague, but I know who I mean...)

Laughing out loud

(Only heard of it in that I heard word of the Neil Morrisey version.)