In hindsight...

I'm 41 now but when I was in my early 20's and thinking that being a comedy writer was something I'd like to do, I spoke to a sports producer who was in New Zealand covering the America's Cup, I asked him "How can I get this series (BTW I'd written a series) made?" and he said "Become a comedian".

About 15 years later I started doing Open Mic nights, it took me a while to take his advice but better late than never I guess.

Anyone else get any gold nuggets of advice they really wish they'd acted on sooner?

Never too late! In my early 20s I was playing a lot of Snooker and knew I was too old and not talented enough to realistically become professional but I still wanted to improve and play in tournaments. While working at a Snooker club I got to know an ex pro who had made 147s at the club and spent a few years as a professional. We had a lot of matches and I was lucky as I got to play a much better player which is the best way to learn and he got free table time. He wouldn't have considered himself as a mentor but he did sometimes give me advice about my game. He was well known in the club for his skill around the black spot and with his deft touch he could compile a frame winning break from nothing. The biggest break I ever saw him make was a 136 total clearance against me. Not much you can do about that :D

He told me I hit the cueball too hard and that Snooker is a touch sport. It's about the soft stuns and run throughs. Hitting the ball too hard has always been a problem for me and no doubt stopped me from reaching my full potential on the green baize.