Improve Your Accent

......with the Swear Word Game.

https://improveyouraccent.co.uk/swear-word-game/

How many points can you get?

I got 6 out of 7.

Well I got the first one wrong, but that was more to do with understanding the accent and then got 42 correct on the trot, then got bored. Sleepy

I reckon it's an IQ test. If you're stilling clicking after 42 words, then you haven't got an IQ. I scored 43 before growing bored.

I scored 99/100.

I was wrong on the first one: it was a relatively southern person saying "bustard" - so it sounded very similar to the way a relatively northern person says "bastard".

When a relatively southern person says "bastard", the "bas" rhymes with "arse".

When a relatively northern person says it, the "bas" rhymes with "lass".

Once you get used to the accent, the test becomes relatively easy.

PS. In this post, the word "relatively" appears relatively often. Laughing out loud

Still on the subject of regional accents, a good many years ago I used to go out with one of Kate Bush's school friends. She, like Kate, was from Kent.

(I should perhaps add that she wasn't still at school with Kate at the time of this relationship!)

She told me there was a particular teacher who all the girls thought was hilarious - not because of his wit and repartee but entirely because of his northern accent.

Indeed, so amusing was his accent to those southern belles that they would often ask him to say the word "bus" and, when he did so, would promptly fall off their chairs laughing, holding their sides in case they split.

Unfortunately for him, the Internet did not exist in those days.

Had it been in existence, he might have saved himself a lot of embarrassment by clicking on the "Improve your accent" link above.

As things were, however, he was doomed to spend his days providing endless amusement for Kate, my girlfriend and other cheeky little Kents.

Do you see what I did there? Laughing out loud

Yes,you made me think of Kate Bush,thankyou.

The first 28 correct in a row and I declared myself the grand master winner of the game. A bit of variation instead of just Julian Clarey would make it more playable but you could probably set it to a drum beat and it would top the UK pop charts. I got a pretty good beat going.

I never took it as I love my accent and wouldn't change it for the world as I never have to tell anyone where I'm from. I was Usti once in the Czech Republic, it was about a month after it became a republic and a some of the locals who could speak English were also Beatle nuts and they could recognise my accent.

Local UK accents fascinate me.They don't have them here,it's all basically the same.
The Liverpool accent is nothing like Manchester and they are not that far away.

Quote: john tregorran @ 14th November 2019, 12:09 AM

Local UK accents fascinate me.They don't have them here,it's all basically the same.
The Liverpool accent is nothing like Manchester and they are not that far away.

Ditto Suffolk and Norfolk here in the East, and it's laughingly ironic when you hear someone from out of the area do a West Country one for ours. Oooh Ahhh.

You can't beat the northern accent. Salt of the earth. It reminds me of being in a pub in Bolton with my uncles and laughing so much my jaw is aching.

Again many years ago, I had quite a posh girlfriend with a flat in Wimbledon.

(I'll tell you how posh she was - she had a mink coat!)

She was originally from Oxford and her flatmate was also a southern girl.

One night, I was invited to a little "dinner party" at the flat - the diners were my girlfriend and me, her flatmate and the flatmate's boyfriend.

The boyfriend was a very nice bloke, nice looking as well - and with a proper northern accent.

While the girls were out of the room, he told me that he did very well for girls in London and it was all due to his northern accent.

Apparently, he'd been out with a number of very good looking London girls who liked nothing better than to introduce him to their friends and have him say something so they could marvel at his northern accent. They thought it was an absolute hoot!

Looking back, it reminds me very much of that running Harry Enfield sketch in which a posh family keep a northern bloke (played by Paul Whitehouse) as a sort of pet.

The flatmate's boyfriend said he realised that many of them were simply taking the pee out of him but he didn't mind because he was getting bags of "you know what" from lots of top totty.

I think it's what biologists call a symbiotic relationship. Laughing out loud

You can't beat the northern accent. Salt of the earth. It reminds me of being in a pub in Bolton with my uncles and laughing so much my jaw is aching.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 14th November 2019, 12:26 AM

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 14th November 2019, 12:56 AM

Alright alright we get the point, no need to rub it in ;) Oi thanks th'anser loies in soil bor 'ere in Suffick :D

I likes a West Country accent and I like the mindset of the people there and I think Bristol is funky enough to be our California.
Norwich is strange and the lack of motorway into there for donkeys years has helped keep it that way.
I think Leeds and Manchester are great places to live and my favourite coastal gaff is Bournemouth.
I don't like London as its more a collection of hamlets full of people serving a dream thats not real for most of them and it never will be.
But if I ever make it big as a writer I would move Teddy Towers to a place called West Kirby , it is a small coastal town on the Wirral peninsula and it reminds me on Amity in Jaws .
That said I would probably return to where I live now as I know everyone and they know me and its nice to spend your time acknowledging people and having small street chats, a thing no one ever seems to have in a lot of places and a thing I would miss most.