General Election 2019 Page 2

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 7th November 2019, 12:03 AM

Could he be relying on fewer votes given the time of year which he sees as an advantage?

I wouldn't have thought so given how much interest there is in Brexit. It's really about Brexit imo, getting it through with fewer amendments, if he gets a clear majority that means they can outvote the others on any amendments.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 7th November 2019, 12:03 AM

Is it because he's confident of winning and that somehow gives him more power over Brexit?

Yes this as well, mainly because Corbyn's so unpopular,

Quote: Briosaid @ 7th November 2019, 12:37 AM

I guess he also thinks the posh/rich Tories will be better placed to turn out to vote if the weather's bad.

Do you know how many blue collar blues there are in Britain Brio? Millions. If all Tory voters were wealthy they'd never be in power, whereas in reality they are rarely out of power. It used to surprise me how many working class bods I met were Tory voters but not anymore. Go into a typical Con club for a drink and you'll find loads of 'em.

The result of the election is, I think, as unpredictable as any election result has ever been.

Boris is unpopular with a great many people, and Brexit is unpopular with about half the electorate.

Jeremy Corbyn and Diane Abbott are, in many people's view, an absolute nightmare of a governmental prospect.

And Jo Swinson is, perhaps, the least prime-ministerial party leader I've ever seen.

Almost anything could happen! :O

And, given that the leader of the Brexit Party isn't even standing for Parliament, who would be Prime Minister if they happened to gain most seats? Admittedly it's a scenario that we probably don't need to worry about but, nevertheless, that is presumably their aim so the electorate needs to know. Ann Widdecombe perhaps?

Is she running? She's already a Euro MP.

Is super smarmball Richard Tice running? He could be a Brexit party PM.

It's unlikely they'll gain any seats -so who cares.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 7th November 2019, 10:34 AM

And, given that the leader of the Brexit Party isn't even standing for Parliament, who would be Prime Minister if they happened to gain most seats? Admittedly it's a scenario that we probably don't need to worry about but, nevertheless, that is presumably their aim so the electorate needs to know. Ann Widdecombe perhaps?

Yeah, that's a weird bit of news going around. The fact is that by the UK rules, MEPs are not allowed to stand for the UK Parliament anyway. So he would have to resign as MEP.

For the first time in the 46 years we've lived here, we had a politician come canvassing. The candidate standing for the Lib Dems.

Then, a wee while ago, came a man from Ipsos Mori who asked me lots of questions about technology and some about politics. Sadly he didn't ask me what I thought of Tories so I didn't get to swear. Laughing out loudLaughing out loud

Quote: Briosaid @ 8th November 2019, 2:45 PM

For the first time in the 46 years we've lived here, we had a politician come canvassing. The candidate standing for the Lib Dems.

Then, a wee while ago, came a man from Ipsos Mori who asked me lots of questions about technology and some about politics. Sadly he didn't ask me what I thought of Tories so I didn't get to swear. Laughing out loudLaughing out loud

Isn't that the party which so believes in the United Kingdom it is working to get Plaid Cymru elected all across Wales?

Tweet from the Lib Dem candidate for Hove and Portslade, Beatrice Bass:

Beatrice Bass
@BeatriceLibDem

Hang on, this extension of the Brexit deadline until 31 January 2020 will better not ruin my ski season. December and January are for winter sports not campaigning. Not to mention that WEF is in January as well. I am not amused.

9:38 AM - Oct 20, 2019

And where was Ms Bass born?

Davos!

You couldn't make it up.

Well the one who came here was apparently born in Clydebank.

Quote: Briosaid @ 8th November 2019, 5:10 PM

Well the one who came here was apparently born in Clydebank.

What, Aileen?

Nah. She was born in the Vale although she grew up in Clydebank.

Even Stan Bowles's Dad wasn't born in Clydebank.

He has just lived there for a long time which is why he is the Lib Dem candidate for Milngavie.

My conspiracy theory still runs along the lines than some very powerful people are going to organise this election so that Boris cannot proceed with Brexit.

That has been my theory since the result of the EU referendum was announced.

So, Boris will be stopped in his tracks and we'll get a second referendum which by fair means or foul will indicate a wish that we remain in the EU.

I've never believed Brexit was going to happen and I still don't.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 8th November 2019, 5:42 PM

What, Aileen?

Nah. She was born in the Vale although she grew up in Clydebank.

Even Stan Bowles's Dad wasn't born in Clydebank.

He has just lived there for a long time which is why he is the Lib Dem candidate for Milngavie.

Aileen who? I'm intrigued. The Vale isn't the most delightful area.

Quote: Briosaid @ 8th November 2019, 7:03 PM

Aileen who? I'm intrigued. The Vale isn't the most delightful area.

Morton.

The grand-daughter of Greenock.

That's why she isn't SNP.

Nationalists are all descendent of Norman Magnus MacLeod of MacLeod and hence essentially Dunvegan.

Their yellow branding comes directly from the MacLeod tartan.