General Election 2019 Page 11

Quote: lofthouse @ 7th December 2019, 3:09 PM

I too partly blame Britain for the terrorism of recent years

When I was growing up in the 70's, 80's, 90's there was no such thing as Islamic terrorists blowing people up and stabbing people and driving vans into crowds on the streets of the UK

It was only after we helped invade and blow the f**k out of Islamic countries with the Yanks that it all started

But it was a Labour government that was in power at the time

So as a Labour voter myself I partly blame the British Labour government for the terrorism

And you can't just blame that prick Blair, his colleagues could have stopped him if they had any guts/morals

You appear to have forgotten about the IRA bomb terrorists and EOKA (back in the 50's), but EOKA really only affected British living in Cyprus, who were nearly all Military personnel or (like me) family of Military personnel. We got fairly used to having pipe bombs thrown over the fence into our gardens.

Oh, I see you are referring only to Islamic terrorists.. But they are not the only ones.

Quote: billwill @ 8th December 2019, 1:45 AM

You appear to have forgotten about the IRA bomb terrorists and EOKA (back in the 50's), but EOKA really only affected British living in Cyprus, who were nearly all Military personnel or (like me) family of Military personnel. We got fairly used to having pipe bombs thrown over the fence into our gardens.

Oh, I see you are referring only to Islamic terrorists.. But they are not the only ones.

Well, billwill, as I said before, we little children sang regularly to the poor mentally handicapped people of St Lawrences, Caterham (where Joey Deacon of Blue Peter fame lived - much abused in every infantile playground except ours as we were introduced and saw him as a person) and we could all have been bombed to smithereens by the IRA as they blew up the pub opposite. Luckily, we were on Summer Holiday. Actually, no poetic licence. I was in truth just at the end of Year One of senior school and all of us were on Summer Hols. News 24 wasn't what it was now. In the current times, there would be phone ins etc for two months but it was mentioned for two days, then everyone got on with their lives never talking about it. A decade and a bit later I was regularly at Irish music events partially because I liked them and partially to show that times had changed. I am pretty disgusted about the way it has all gone down hill in this century. Had it been like this then, I would have hated the Irish and never had the chance to be friends with them. Media makes it tougher now. To this day the Caterham bomb is the "forgotten bomb" in the media. Unlike London, Birmingham or Guildford, few had heard of it. Much is down to the fact that the good folks here just brushed their hair lightly and focussed on their gardens.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joey_Deacon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caterham_Arms_pub_bombing

A poll by Survation, conducted between December the 5th and 7th gives the Tories a 14-point lead over Labour.

However, a poll by ICM conducted between December the 6th and 9th puts the Tories only 6 points ahead.

Is Jeremy coming with a late run to snatch victory on the line?

It could happen.

On the other hand, so could (almost) anything else.

Exciting times lie ahead!

Quote: billwill @ 8th December 2019, 1:45 AM

They are the most ruthlessly effective, though, aren't they? Those guys have really raised the bar on atrocity.

Awful as they were,I don't remember the IRA being prepared to blow themselves up.

Quote: john tregorran @ 9th December 2019, 11:34 PM

Awful as they were,I don't remember the IRA being prepared to blow themselves up.

I was baptised in 1977 at the same church in Trim, Meath as the one used for the shooting debacle a year later. Despite being only one years of age I remember thinking at the time the bloody nerve of all those involved. I wanted to round them all up and give them a piece of my mind.

I am appalled by the actions of Irish and Islamic terrorists in England.

I mean what harm has England ever done to the people of Ireland or of any Islamic country?

In fact, what harm has England ever done to the people of any country?

Since time immemorial, the English have been content to stay at home minding their own business and letting the rest of the world go by.

But what do we get in return for keeping ourselves to ourselves for all these centuries?

We get bullies coming over here and trying to blow us up - simply because we're such thoroughly nice people.

It shouldn't be allowed!

With only two days to go before polling day, I have to repeat what I've been saying ever since the result of the EU referendum was announced: I cannot believe we are going to leave the EU.

If I've been right all along, it means Boris won't get an overall majority at the forthcoming election.

That means either an outright win for Jeremy or a hung parliament in which case Jeremy will still be PM supported by MPs from non-Brexit parties.

Of course, I might have been wrong all along - but let's not think about that! Laughing out loud

50% chance of Tory majority.
0% chance of Labour majority.
So - 50% chance Remain, 50% chance Leave.
Oddly appropriate.

Lazzaard on paper I would agree, but now there are so many imponderables:

There are 3.8 million waspi women who stand to get £31,000 each the minute Corbyn wins. Now they can't all be Labour but at that price they may will be. Plus you could also factor in their partners kids and possibly grand kids?

Then there are the late enrollers to the electoral roll , what is motivating them?

The NHS is exposing the damage 9 years has done.

Plus it is only my opinion but I can not see how Brexit has garnered fresh support as there has been no new 'Upside Stories' and far too many negative ones.
Factor in the aged dying and the young coming forward I think that Friday the 13th could the day that Jezzer & John get to implement all the things that they have sat up late discussing for donkeys years.

That said we could sadly have Boris and if thats the case he will be shown to be the puppet he is as Rees Mogg and Mark Francois and the ERG thugs start laying down the law to dissenters of any ilk.

I think it will need ALL of the above to kick in to get a hung parliament . But that would do. Labour majority is a fantasy.

I hope to god they finally get around to ditching Corrbyn after Thursday. He's like a secret weapon for Brexit and the Tories.

I'm not a massive Corbyn fan but I would be pleased to see McDonell as Chancellor and Starmer in the hot seat. As for a Labour majority it is way off the mark under the normal scheme of things but Brexit and Austerity could sway it.

Where the hell is DIANE ABBOT!?

Quote: lofthouse @ 10th December 2019, 8:38 PM

Where the hell is DIANE ABBOTT!?

I imagine she's locked in a cupboard somewhere until voting closes on Thursday night. Laughing out loud