RuPaul's Drag Race UK

I've never been a fan of drag acts.

Danny LaRue was great, of course, largely because he was on TV and his act was family-friendly in all respects.

My experience of drag acts on the club circuits, however, has been that many of them are so crude they could make a dog vomit.

It was with some trepidation, therefore, that I decided to investigate RuPaul's Drag Race UK.

My first problem was that I didn't know what channel it was on - but I soon found out it was BBC3.

My second problem was that my TV doesn't have BBC3 on it.

I then discovered that nobody's TV has BBC3 on it and that made me feel a little better: BBC3 is apparently available only online.

Eventually, I found my way to RuPaul and his drag race - and I'm glad I did.

The show is all about a collection of drag acts who have to perform various tasks every week in competition with each other - one being eliminated at the end of every show. In that respect, it's a bit like a cross-dressing version of The Apprentice.

None of the acts actually performs their own stage routines but several of them nevertheless display glimpses of the appalling crudity for which their ilk is legendary.

If I tell you that one of the performers works all over the UK under the stage name "Cheryl Hole", you'll understand level at which we're operating.

If I then tell you that other performers on the show have names significantly less wholesome (see what I did there?) than Cheryl's, you'll understand even better the level at which we're operating.

Having said all that, however, I find the show absolutely fascinating and I am blown (perhaps not the best choice of word under the circumstances) away by the creative brilliance of some of the acts.

Some of the performers are, in real life, little more than schoolboys but, when they transform into their female creations, they become something that wouldn't disgrace the cantina scene in Star Wars - and I mean that in the most positive way imaginable. They really are fabulous!

At the end of the day, I have to recommend RuPaul's Drag Race UK almost unreservedly.

I say "almost" because I believe some of these characters will occasionally offend a number of viewers who, quite rightly and properly, are not huge fans of comedic crudity.

That having been said, it's well worth a watch because it's glamorous, funny and I'm quite sure that in the case of many BCG members (and here I borrow a phrase from Dr Doolittle), you've never seen anything like it in your life!

PS. The "Downton Draggy" skit in episode two is pure gold! Laughing out loud

I agree! I watched the first two episodes back to back (!) and can't wait for the third.

Watched the third last night, featuring brilliant impressions of Thatcher and Trump. I was crying with laughter.