Controversial Page 3

I've got a mate in Russia I send gravy granules and HP sauce to. You can't get it there. He's a musician and he's made it big because there's no competition, Russia loves British music (because it's not American) lol.

Firkin I hope they're not snorting the Bisto, you know what Russian rock stars are like .

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 28th October 2019, 12:15 AM

And that's bollocks. Tomato SAUCE is the cheap nasty vinegary type you used to get in greasy spoon caffs, and I quote:-

"Is the hero of American condiments: ketchup? NO, it turns out ketchup's origins are anything but American. Ketchup comes from the Hokkien Chinese word, kê-tsiap, the name of a sauce derived from fermented fish. It is believed that traders brought fish sauce from Vietnam to southeastern China."

I think you're having a dig at Yank words entering the English language and you have my full support in that, but it is not a American word and has been in the English language long before Heinz came over here well over 100 years ago.

Now if you had been foaming at the mouth about "Catsup", that would have been a different matter. :D

I never said it was an American word. I thought it sounded more like Indian.

Quote: Firkin @ 28th October 2019, 12:12 PM

I've got a mate in Russia I send gravy granules and HP sauce to.

Mixed together?