Still Open All Hours - Series 6

I've never watched a single minute of Still Open All Hours but something made me take a peek at the first episode of the new series (series 6).

I've only watched eight minutes and, unless Ronnie Barker miraculously appears in the next few seconds, I won't be watching any more.

I suppose it's what is known as "gentle comedy"?

It's certainly gentle: I'll give it that.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 21st October 2019, 3:37 PM

I've never watched a single minute of Still Open All Hours but something made me take a peek at the first episode of the new series (series 6).

I've only watched eight minutes and, unless Ronnie Barker miraculously appears in the next few seconds, I won't be watching any more.

I suppose it's what is known as "gentle comedy"?

It's certainly gentle: I'll give it that.

Quite.

Yeah I gave up two series ago. I have nothing against it, it's cosy and warm but I don't think I've ever laughed out loud whilst watching and I had to ask myself why I was tuning in every week.

It's tremendously warm and silly. A joyful watch - and yes, a fair bit of laughter, too.

I quite fancy the show. Though I admit some surprise to the rather non-PC themes that run throughout the show given the Beeb's tendency to bend over backwards in this regard the last few years.

Guess Sir Jason's astounding viewership ratings trump all.Laughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loud

I think it would be funnier if Granville was still Granville and he had not morphed into Arkwright.

There's an old saying, "Nobody is irreplaceable."

Having watched 10 minutes of this programme, I can think of somebody who is.

What has happened with this series? As I've seen reports it's cancelled and reports it's not, I don't know which one is which. I hope it isn't cancelled, as it's the only sitcom I've watched in the last few years

I won't miss it, having not watched it since the first episode "taster" for me and not liking it.

There's a fine line between gentle comedy and pooh.

I like this type of thing,. I like the nice gentle comedy humor that Roy Clarke writes, like KUA, OAH, LOTSW and this.

Quote: Wheel @ 21st September 2020, 12:27 PM

I like this type of thing,

Quote: Wheel @ 21st September 2020, 12:27 PM

KUA, OAH, LOTSW.

WTF?

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 21st September 2020, 4:07 PM

WTF?

Keeping Up Appearances, Last Of The Summer Wine, Open All Hours

Quote: Wheel @ 20th September 2020, 4:43 PM

What has happened with this series? As I've seen reports it's cancelled and reports it's not, I don't know which one is which. I hope it isn't cancelled, as it's the only sitcom I've watched in the last few years

It's not cancelled. British Comedy Guide is the only reliable source.