Things you didn't do and deeply regret

Ýears ago, during the school October holiday week, I took my 2 sons to Glasgow Art Galleries.As we were leaving via the front door, there was a drunk (I thought) man who tried to grab my older boy (about 7/8). You all know me well enough to realise I was having none of that, However as we got to the bottom of the stairs there were 2 policemen and I told them the tale, upon which they rushed up the stairs. I was a bit distraught and hurried the boys back to the car and home. Later I realised I shoukd have stayed. Maybe the drunk was an old bastard pervert, but even then we weren't so aware of these things.

I wish I'd persued my dream of being an architect.

Quote: Briosaid @ 20th October 2019, 8:47 PM

Ýears ago, during the school October holiday week, I took my 2 sons to Glasgow Art Galleries.As we were leaving via the front door, there was a drunk (I thought) madn who tried to grab my older boy (about 7/8). You all know me well enough to realise I was having none of that, However as we got to the bottom of the stairs there were 2 policemen and I told them the tale, upon which they rushed up the stairs. I was a bit distraught and hurried the boys back to the car and home. Later I realised I shoukd have stayed. Maybe the drunk was an old bastard pervert, but even then we weren't so aware of these things.

He probably was just a drunk. And I'm sure if he was anything more sinister he was caught, not least because trying to openly grab kids at art galleries doesn't indicate any great cunning.

Quote: Briosaid @ 20th October 2019, 8:47 PM

Ýears ago, during the school October holiday week, I took my 2 sons to Glasgow Art Galleries.As we were leaving via the front door, there was a drunk (I thought) man who tried to grab my older boy (about 7/8). You all know me well enough to realise I was having none of that, However as we got to the bottom of the stairs there were 2 policemen and I told them the tale, upon which they rushed up the stairs. I was a bit distraught and hurried the boys back to the car and home. Later I realised I shoukd have stayed. Maybe the drunk was an old bastard pervert, but even then we weren't so aware of these things.

I don't see why you should have stayed.You got the kids home safe and you told the police.
Perhaps you are sorry you didn't stay to kick him in the goolies?

Quote: chipolata @ 20th October 2019, 9:19 PM

I wish I'd persued my dream of being an architect.

I often wonder if I should have gone to Art School, instead of university, but I was worried about the future. Imagine being worried about security when you're only 17.

I regret not getting in to DJing earlier because I borrowed some decks from a mate in the 90s but never really used them and it was only around 2006 that I downloaded DJ software that I realised I was natural at being able to mix music. I've always been good with beats and rhythms so if I had bought some decks in my teens and worked at it I would be living in Ibiza now playing at the biggest clubs and getting laid every night. C'est la vie.

Another regret is not going to a Faith No More gig when they played at a local club in 95. I loved the band and can't even remember why I didn't go. They were playing stadiums at the time so a club with about 2000 capacity could be considered 'intimate'. I've just joined a facebook group about the local music scene and loads keep posting about the gig and how amazing it was.

Quote: Briosaid @ 20th October 2019, 10:21 PM

I often wonder if I should have gone to Art School, instead of university, but I was worried about the future. Imagine being worried about security when you're only 17.

Sadly we often plump for the safe options. Art School would have been great.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 20th October 2019, 11:22 PM

Another regret is not going to a Faith No More gig when they played at a local club in 95. I loved the band and can't even remember why I didn't go. They were playing stadiums at the time so a club with about 2000 capacity could be considered 'intimate'. I've just joined a facebook group about the local music scene and loads keep posting about the gig and how amazing it was.

Great band. I would have loved to have seen them in their heyday.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 20th October 2019, 11:22 PM

I regret not getting in to DJing earlier because I borrowed some decks from a mate in the 90s but never really used them and it was only around 2006 that I downloaded DJ software that I realised I was natural at being able to mix music. I've always been good with beats and rhythms so if I had bought some decks in my teens and worked at it I would be living in Ibiza now playing at the biggest clubs and getting laid every night. C'est la vie.

Getting laid every night is boring, believe me.

Quote: beaky @ 21st October 2019, 10:38 AM

Getting laid every night is boring, believe me.

It isn't, so I don't.

In fact, the expression "getting laid every night" could mean having sex every night but, to most people, it means having a different sexual partner every night.

A different partner every night - i.e. just one?

As somebody who's worked on a holiday camp, I can tell you that if you're having only one sexual partner every 24 hours, you're just not trying!

I hesitate to speak on behalf of all young men but I'm pretty confident that when it comes to young men and sexual intercourse with different partners, there is (in most cases) absolutely no such thing as "enough". Laughing out loud

I regret not working harder at school then go to university I had the intelligence but just didn't do the work. I now have a fairly stressful and physical job and my body is now aching and creaking and still have about 20 years before I can even think of retirement

Quote: Billygoatscruff @ 21st October 2019, 12:59 PM

I regret not working harder at school then go to university I had the intelligence but just didn't do the work. I now have a fairly stressful and physical job and my body is now aching and creaking and still have about 20 years before I can even think of retirement

At least you didn't have to work for white collar bosses who cause Armageddon in the amygdala.

As a self employed cauliflower grower, I could have been Brain of Britain.

There's nothing I haven't done and regretted not doing it.
Mind you I've never been ambitious or made plans.Just drifted aimlessly along.

Quote: john tregorran @ 21st October 2019, 8:52 PM

There's nothing I haven't done and regretted not doing it.
Mind you I've never been ambitious or made plans.Just drifted aimlessly along.

You probably have the secret to happiness.

Revise for exams.

I sold my (small) business a few years ago with the intention of setting up in a new business that had been a long term passion project.
In fact i had two different ideas that really excited me for completely different reasons. After clearing my debts i only had a small pot of cash which meant we would have to bet the house (literally) on either idea. Exciting times and a potentially bumpy ride, as i had no previous experience in either of the new business areas.

Then a business acquaintance suggested we take advantage of an opportunity we were being offered to start a business back in my old line of work. It would be steady work but in a an industry that i was keen to move away from. So i convinced myself that after two or three years i would be in a better position to start one of my my dream businesses.

10 years on and our joint business is just ticking over and has been particularly badly affected by Brexit uncertainty this year. I am now 60 years old, and sadly don't feel i have the energy or enthusiasm to start any new venture, let alone the resources. I don't feel sorry for myself - i made the decision. But i can't help thinking that it would have been a hell of a lot more fun if i had jumped into a completely different business.

So my advice is - as Nike say "Just do it!"

Sorry it didn't work out playful, at least you took a chance of sorts.

My advice is to "Just don't do it." I take the kids to McDonalds, but it doesn't mean I have to eat something , every time is a disappointment. So bland.