Excuse me, I'm lost...

Jimster

• Saturday 28th September 2019, 10:29pm
  • South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
  • 6 posts

Just trying to create an internet presence and this place is one of my stop offs. I've done a bit of script writing and have only just written my first novella. I wanted to be a novelist from my early teens but had to give it a bit a of thought for a while first - not being one to rush into things. I'm nearly 48 now. How frequent is the bus service through here?

Rood Eye

• Saturday 28th September 2019, 10:55pm [Edited]
  • England
  • 3,005 posts
Quote: Jimster @ 28th September 2019, 10:29 PM

Just trying to create an internet presence and this place is one of my stop offs. I've done a bit of script writing and have only just written my first novella. I wanted to be a novelist from my early teens but had to give it a bit a of thought for a while first - not being one to rush into things. I'm nearly 48 now. How frequent is the bus service through here?

I'm surprised you didn't title the thread "I've a novella".

No, on second thoughts I'm not surprised at all - only about three people would have got the joke!

Take a seat, Jim: the next bus will be along any minute.

It's going nowhere but most of us are on it already so you'll have plenty of company! Laughing out loud

Jimster

• Sunday 29th September 2019, 9:42am [Edited]
  • 6 posts

Thank you Rood Eye. It's the journey that counts!

Chappers

• Sunday 29th September 2019, 9:25pm
  • Surreyish., England
  • 30,539 posts

Where does a novella end and a novel begin?

I too have written several "novels" and am currently half way through another one at the age of 63.

Jimster

• Monday 30th September 2019, 7:53am [Edited]
  • 6 posts

I think they both begin and end at the same places when it comes to telling a story, Chappers. However where a novella tends to be the right length, a novel has been padded out with superfluous gunk to justify the hardback retail price. My novella is 20,000 words and currently occupying the obscure dungeons of the overpopulated kindle marketplace. I want to write a 'proper' novel at 50,000 words plus to satisfy my delicate writer's ego once I can dredge up enough superfluous gunk from the basement of my unconscious mind.

Alfred J Kipper

• Monday 30th September 2019, 8:52am
  • Aldershot, England
  • 5,939 posts
Quote: Jimster @ 30th September 2019, 7:53 AM

I think they both begin and end at the same places when it comes to telling a story, Chappers. However where a novella tends to be the right length, a novel has been padded out with superfluous gunk to justify the hardback retail price. My novella is 20,000 words and currently occupying the obscure dungeons of the overpopulated kindle marketplace. I want to write a 'proper' novel at 50,000 words plus to satisfy my delicate writer's ego once I can dredge up enough superfluous gunk from the basement of my unconscious mind.

In my reckoning though I'm no expert on it 50K words would still be a novella and 20k just a long short story like A Christmas Carol. I believe 25-50k is the usual criteria for a novella. What you've written is a novellina. But good luck. I've started about nine and still finished none. Pirate

Jimster

• Monday 30th September 2019, 10:34am
  • 6 posts

Well I respect your opinion, Mr Kipper - there seems to be debate about this among the initiates. Maybe it's a novelette? But Novellina is cuter. Get on an finish something, sir!

Rood Eye

• Monday 30th September 2019, 11:36am
  • England
  • 3,005 posts

"The Great Gatsby" is, I think, widely accepted as a novel despite its comprising significantly fewer than 50,000 words.

Jimster

• Monday 30th September 2019, 1:00pm
  • 6 posts

I've heard that novels used to be a lot shorter "back in the day". With ebooks now you can get away with a short novel because no one can see how thick they are.

beaky

• Monday 30th September 2019, 3:43pm
  • Malaga and Brighton, United Kingdom
  • 2,649 posts

"I'm writing a novella."
"Neither am I."

Jimster

• Monday 30th September 2019, 7:23pm
  • 6 posts

My next project will be fuelled by procrastination.

Chappers

• Monday 30th September 2019, 9:29pm
  • Surreyish., England
  • 30,539 posts
Quote: Jimster @ 30th September 2019, 7:53 AM

I've got 30,000 already. So maybe I can add a couple of letters to my Novel.