Phone scam Page 2

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 15th September 2019, 5:55 PM

................................ so it's probably all down to getting customers to opt in to marketing.

I get fed up with web sites that have non optional choice for phone numbers and won't let you move on to the next page or whatever without you supply one, so I give them a fictitious one. "We need this in case we have to call you in an emergency over your order"- F**k off.

Quote: Briosaid @ 15th September 2019, 5:08 PM

Bill, I wouldn't waste my time on them with that. Usually I put the phone down the minute they say something that's claptrap, which is usually right away.

My suggestion is only for those cases where you think it might after all be a real call not an obvious scam. You were describing a case where you were not sure.

I have had to do that once, as I had a real call from my bank. I've forgotten what it was about, but I remember that I did call back and spoke to her that way, essentially having verified that it was genuine.

New one started up this morning with an 031.................number, so you know it's a con. My wife took the first one while I was out, but I caught the second one, with them letting me know that Amazon had taken the £79.99 out of my bank account for my Prime account, which I don't have, and by coincidence knew it had been cancelled as the credit from Amazon had appeared on my bank statement that I had checked only this morning before going out.

I wanted to give them a "verbal broadside", but the garbled heavy Indian accent made it impossible to know what they were saying.