Newsjack Series 21 - September 2019 Page 8

Quote: Auditchris @ 20th September 2019, 12:16 PM

Can I be pedantic (the devil is always in the detail)?

It could be argued that your version doesn't work because it mentions German chains - both Aldi and Lidl are German so 'taking over Lidl by Lidl' is a separate thing to Aldi opening a new store every week. The cause and effect is lost.

The version on the show could be interpreted as Aldi taking over branches of Lidl - and therefore works.

Fair point. What makes it annoying is that I originally had it without the German chains bit, but in my head that didn't make sense (I thought it read like Aldi were going to be building Lidl stores and so I decided it needed the German chains bit to try to accomodate the link to Lidl) but I think your assessment of it sounds right.

Quote: KevDP4L @ 20th September 2019, 11:21 AM

Congrats Thosisd, I do love a good Marvel joke! Just out of curiousity though, was your name read out during the credits at the end? I heard a Breaking News joke that was remarkably similar to mine last night, but received no email and no credit at the end.

I had assumed I was just unlucky that someone had submitted a similar version that they liked more than mine, but now that you've said about making the show and not getting an email, I'm wondering should I email Newsjack and ask was it actually my joke and they just forgot to credit me??

As I listened to it...it was word for word except from the trim at the end. My name was in the credits so no idea what's happened here.

Quote: Auditchris @ 20th September 2019, 12:16 PM

Can I be pedantic (the devil is always in the detail)?

It could be argued that your version doesn't work because it mentions German chains - both Aldi and Lidl are German so 'taking over Lidl by Lidl' is a separate thing to Aldi opening a new store every week. The cause and effect is lost.

The version on the show could be interpreted as Aldi taking over branches of Lidl - and therefore works.

True. It could also be different people sifted the two jokes separately. One liked the joke...one did not. May not even have looked at it in detail. Hard to tell.

Got the email at 12:40pm today!

Just listened to episode 2 and thought it was stronger than last week. That, plus the quality of the reject thread for this week, tells me I really need to up my game...

Thosisd, as if you got the email that late! What's going on there?!?

J x

Still not heard back as to which of my bits made the script last week, so I shall ponder that mystery a while longer.

In the meantime, my sketch has gone off with a ruddy awful typo in it. Grr!

Quote: Thosisd @ 20th September 2019, 7:49 AM

Strangely, I did make the show but just didn't get an email...

Mine was the Iron Man GWBW.

Hi Thosisd. I like the premise of your joke, but can I be a nitpicky pedantic old pedant and ask if NJ edited your original submission? Please put me back in my box if I'm just being a clot, but why was it a bad week for nerds if they'd finally got what they'd been waiting for? have they turned into vampires likely to dissolve in daylight, did they develop popcorn addictions, do they now feel so attached to the cinema they don't want to leave? are they even in the cinema or just some space time wormhole, or or or ....arrrrrrr, please help put a stop to this madness.

It's true - technically it doesn't make sense! The original joke was that they're desperate for the toilet as they haven't left the screen for 11 years...but even that is flawed.

The lesson here (I guess) is don't get too hung up on logic.

It appears the Newsjack team don't get too hung up on logic.

Well 6 in. 6 in. Not 6 inches. It was fun but I have to be careful it doesn't absorb too much time. I like doing it so it ended up taking more of my time than it should as I am busy at the moment. Odds not good enough for me to give up too many hours which I don't have to give. Sent in a sketch as the urge to do one overcame me. It won't get in. Not a good enough news story, for a start, let alone other reasons, but somehow I felt driven to write it. Good luck to you all.

You have gone 'off-topic' again Rood Eye and are hidden. Soon, no doubt, I may be too for commenting on your off topic post. I read your post out loud in a Piers Morgan voice. And it worked.:D:D:D

No sketches for me again . Still working on entries for todays deadline - struggling for inspiration, though

Quote: Kenny Bania @ 24th September 2019, 9:22 AM

No sketches for me again . Still working on entries for todays deadline - struggling for inspiration, though

I did too.

So many news stories I steered away from as everyone will do them, too old, possibly libelous, in bad taste, I wanted to swear, too obvious, not funny, could be offensive, on twitter already in one way or another or subject to court action.
Then got a bit stuck! So I just stuck in some old news, unfunny, obvious jokes.

Quote: BTF @ 24th September 2019, 9:31 AM

I did too.

So many news stories I steered away from as everyone will do them, too old, possibly libelous, in bad taste, I wanted to swear, too obvious, not funny, could be offensive, on twitter already in one way or another or subject to court action.
Then got a bit stuck! So I just stuck in some old, unfunny, obvious jokes.

The twitter thing I'm not too worried about now - I've got used to hearing stuff that I've thought surely that must've been on
And I've popped in a swear word in a breaking news story.
It's getting my one liners down to a punchy couple of lines this week ( or most weeks, come to that )

Just done my' read aloud' test - ie if I heard this in the show, would it make me laugh ? Hmmm...