Bob's Your Uncle

Not a review this time, but a preview/advanced warning to anyone who may be interested as there is a 1½ hour "Dad's Army" comedy film on this Saturday at 6.20 am - "Bob's Your Uncle" (1942), and I quote from their site :-

Sat 31 Aug 19 06:20 Bob's Your Uncle 1942. Comedy. Directed by Oswald Mitchell. Starring Albert Modley, Wally Patch, H.F.Maltby & Johnnie Schofield. British Comedy that follows the adventures of enthusiastic members of the Home Guard.

If you know your early British B&W films you will recognise Wally Patch as a stalwart of these films who has over 260 acting credits apparently, but apart from him I don't know anyone else in it.

Might be interesting to see if any of the sub plots/skits/ideas turned up in the Dad's Army TV series, as I feel sure Croft and Perry would have watched this at some point. (?)

Albert Modley, the star of the film, was a music hall & variety act, who appeared on the Good Old Days on occasions. He has his own website http://www.albertmodley.co.uk/biography.htm and is well remembered in the Blackpool area: https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/memories-of-much-loved-comedy-star-1-9349996

I wonder now if I am NOT the oldest person on this forum. Whistling nnocently

But thanks for that, I look forward to seeing what he is like. :)

If he's a Bud Flanagan clone, no. Angry

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 27th August 2019, 10:57 AM

I wonder now if I am NOT the oldest person on this forum. Whistling nnocently

I'm not trying to take that record from you anytime soon. Just 14 months of Bus Pass ownership and 10 months into my state pension Ill

I thought you were going to say directed by Oswald Moseley.

Another arcane post from Mr. C, or he's posted to the wrong thread again. Whistling nnocently

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 27th August 2019, 9:07 AM

Sat 31 Aug 19 06:20 Bob's Your Uncle 1942. Comedy. Directed by Oswald Mitchell. Starring Albert Modley, Wally Patch, H.F.Maltby & Johnnie Schofield. British Comedy that follows the adventures of enthusiastic members of the Home Guard.

. (?)

This!

Oh, an edited quote would have helped............................ Geek

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 27th August 2019, 9:07 AM

Not a review this time, but a preview/advanced warning to anyone who may be interested as there is a 1½ hour "Dad's Army" comedy film on this Saturday at 6.20 am - "Bob's Your Uncle" (1942), and I quote from their site :-

Oh dear....................oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. What a load of toss. It was as unfunny as the TV's Dad's Army was funny and was a struggle to watch it to the end, it being neither one thing or another. Made in 1942, a bit of propaganda on buying a tank for the War Effort via the Home Guard, with a few DIRE so called funny skits, a few "jokes", bit of very poor slapstick and the random insertion of the odd musical hall act.

"Memories of a much loved comedy star" says the Blackpool Gazette. Really? Seriously, I never heard of him, and on this basis never want to again. And I thought Frank Randle was bad in films.

Some blogger: "He made 3 films (which I have not got copies of!!! Anyone out there with them please get in touch!!) 'Up for The Cup', 'Take Me to Paris' and 'Bob's Your Uncle'." You're welcome to them mate.

Also the lone reviewer on the IMDb says: "Unlike the other reviewer I am not prepared to base my consideration of the merits of this film on whether it remains funny 76 years after its making.", but there is no other review, so presumably they deleted it out of shame.

Oh, and one final mystery - at the bottom of the cast list (as it was in the film titles) it states "Pin's Navy", and then goes on to say "actor". Well I can find no reference to this and can only think it refers to the combined services singalong group on the stage at the end of the film. Anyone any ideas?