US Hitchhikers Sitcom Page 2

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy. Image shows from L to R: Ford Prefect (David Dixon), Arthur Dent (Simon Jones). Copyright: BBC.

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Television adaptation of the highly successful sci-fi radio sitcom and comic novel, created by Douglas Adams

Aaron

• Monday 29th July 2019, 4:13pm
  • Royal Berkshire, England
  • 68,308 posts
Quote: chipolata @ 28th July 2019, 12:51 PM

the frankly shit looking seventies TV adaptation.

Eighties! (Imagine nerdy emoticon here.)

Good luck to our colonial cousins, I say. I'd be far more interested in a new UK TV version though, and continuing beyond book one.

Michael Monkhouse

• Tuesday 30th July 2019, 11:42am [Edited]
  • Eternal City, Italy
  • 4,115 posts

Great idea. Take possibly the most quintessiantally English brand of humour and sell it to the Yanks. What can possibly go wrong? Even a full-screen Zooey Deschanel could't kee me alive through the film.
HH was massively overrated anyway. A very good bout (the first rado series i.e. the first book and end of the second book i.e. the TV series) followed by a slightly less good one (the second radio seies i.e. the start of the second book) and that was pretty much it. The third wasn't even a Hitch-Hiker's story, and the fourth would never have been published without the former glories. Five was okay but the magic had gone.
Come back Eoin Colfer.
'It is obvious to viewers that Beeblebrox's second head doesn't move.' WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAATT? I never noticed. They completely had me fooled. Another myth deflated.

john tregorran

• Wednesday 31st July 2019, 11:51pm
  • mornington,victoria, Australia
  • 149 posts

The radio series were the best.

Paul Wimsett

• Thursday 1st August 2019, 6:08pm
  • Folkestone, United Kingdom
  • 3,146 posts

The original three series, you mean?

Michael Monkhouse

• Monday 5th August 2019, 4:24pm
  • Eternal City, Italy
  • 4,115 posts

There were two original series. The others were retros based on the books.

Quote: chipolata @ 27th July 2019, 10:18 AM

That said, the American Office was excellent,.

The problem with the Yank Office was that it lost contact with reality. The perfect example is Gareth, who is the least sympathetic main character, but he COULD exist and you feel a twinge of empathy. There is no one on Earth like Dwight, and if there was, you wouldn't employ him for years...

Off-topic post by rrr 969 on Tue 6th Aug 2019, 07:17

I tried to watch US Office, but got tired.

I remember US Red Dwarf attempt was a disaster, I watched it years ago - pilot and some episodes were on YouTube or somewhere.

Off-topic post by Hercules Grytpype Thynne on Tue 6th Aug 2019, 15:53
Quote: rrr 969 @ 6th August 2019, 7:17 AM

I remember US Red Dwarf attempt was a disaster, I watched it years ago - pilot and some episodes were on YouTube or somewhere.

Just watched a clip on YT (all I could stand!) - why did they bother? A few years back I read Robert Llewellyn's short and sort of biog on Red Dwarf and he tells of how he was paid to go to the US to discuss their version of RD, saying he was the best thing in it and it was only him they wanted. He was put up in the finest hotels and feted wherever he went.

Came back to the UK (contract in the post) with all this ringing in his ears and never heard another thing from them!!

Off-topic post by chipolata on Wed 7th Aug 2019, 06:39
Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 5th August 2019, 4:24 PM

The problem with the Yank Office was that it lost contact with reality. The perfect example is Gareth, who is the least sympathetic main character, but he COULD exist and you feel a twinge of empathy. There is no one on Earth like Dwight, and if there was, you wouldn't employ him for years...

I thought Dwight was a great character played by a great comedy actor. Did it lose touch with reality as it went on? Yes, probably, but to me that gave it an absurdist slightly surreal charm. It reflected the extreme lengths people will go to to escape the relentless daily drudge of work.

Off-topic post by Michael Monkhouse on Thu 8th Aug 2019, 09:28

Dwight's hilarious, but he's not credible. The best sitcoms are totally off-the-wall (Young Ones) or totally credible (Porrridge) - It's the same problem with Two Broke Girls, and it's why I hate the puppet rat in Fawlty Towers. You laugh for the wrong reason.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 6th August 2019, 3:53 PM

Just watched a clip on YT (all I could stand!) - why did they bother?

There were plans for a Yank Young Ones, but I've scoured the Net and there's very little info.

Off-topic post by chipolata on Thu 8th Aug 2019, 09:35
Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 8th August 2019, 9:28 AM

Dwight's hilarious, but he's not credible. .

I've actually worked with less credible people. They exist and live and work amongst us.