It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

This was on TV the other day.Madcap mayhem is not really my thing but it was a wet Sunday afternoon.
I laughed quite a lot,there's lots of slapstick and car chases.People shouting at each other at the same time but some quieter moments like this.

Ethel Merman is very good as the old bag.

Possibly the greatest collection of stars ever to appear in a single film. My grandfather passed away in 1968 when I was very young and I only have a few memories of him, but I remember that it was his favorite movie. I think of him whenever I watch it.

You must have mixed emotions about it then.It makes you laugh but you feel sad too?
There's a couple of match ups too I noticed Bilko and the Colonel and Jack Benny with Rochester but they didn't appear together.

Went to the cinema to see this when it was released - now have it on DVD and think it is a brilliant film. Love them all, and special mench for the Phil Silvers/Terry-Thomas feud, Jonathan Winters and very brief appearance of (uncredited !!)Jerry Lewis.

Very funny. Laughing out loud

Been a while since I've seen it but I remember enjoying it a lot. The cast makes it the equivalent of a music supergroup.

Wasn't The Rat Race a sort of remake/rip-off?

Quote: chipolata @ 26th July 2019, 9:35 AM

Wasn't The Rat Race a sort of remake/rip-off?

? Eh?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 26th July 2019, 9:47 AM

? Eh?

A 2001 film directed by Jerry Zucker with a very similar plot, starring John Cleese and Whoopi Goldberg to name but two.

Quote: chipolata @ 26th July 2019, 11:45 AM

A 2001 film directed by Jerry Zucker with a very similar plot, starring John Cleese and Whoopi Goldberg to name but two.

I took you literally with "The" Rat Race, which the imdB didn't recognise - effin' computers are too smart sometimes! Angry

Sounds good - will give it a look sometime.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 26th July 2019, 12:19 PM

I took you literally with "The" Rat Race, which the imdB didn't recognise - effin' computers are too smart sometimes! Angry

Sounds good - will give it a look sometime.

I wouldn't! I don't think it's great.

Sounds bad - will not give it a look sometime.

Ta

Rat Race is a greatly varying film. Worth seeing, for a few excellent set pieces. But it is a bit on the ropey side on the whole.

A Bean-like Rowan Atkinson and John Cleese are excellent in this I thought. Best of British. I also loved the accidental Hitler speech scene at an army vet convention, ha ha, you can't go wrong with Adolf. I watch American comedy films not expecting too much subtlety and enjoy most of them. I'm a Chevvy Chase fan too who Brits usually go :| at. Not me, very funny guy.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 28th July 2019, 1:37 PM

I'm a Chevvy Chase fan too who Brits usually go :| at. Not me, very funny guy.

(raises hand and waves it frantically) Yes, me sir! Me. Yes, leaves me cold...................Sleepy

Chevy Chase was great in Community. Although if reports are to be believed, he was an absolute nightmare to work with.