Do we drive the ladies away or... Page 6

Hi I am a woman. I come on here a couple of times a year when Newsjack is on. I am on BCG for about 12 weeks a year and at those times I get into other threads. I will say that posts on BCG can be occasionally sarcastic but the sarcasm I have observed is not directed at female posters from what I can see. It could put people off, whatever the gender. It doesn't put me off but someone else may feel put off. Equally, that's part of life to a degree though - to have debate and banter. I have noticed the odd term being posted like 'she's got big tits'. This may be meant to be ironic but (just saying) it may be good to be mindful that people reading may feel a bit offended or intimidated etc. There was something else posted that I found slightly disturbing in terms of the humour. I do know that some people do push the boundaries of humour and move into areas of dark humour.
There is a little bit of a 'laddish' feel to some of these threads which is likely to happen if men mainly post. It could put women off posting to maybe put an opposing point of view. They may feel outnumbered!
Personally, I experienced a post which was rude and aggressive once which was taken down. Hard to say if it was directed at me as the poster had worked out if I was a woman and they may have been less likely to do it to a man. I think this may have been an element of it but it was only part of the motivation. Anyway, that is done and dusted now. You are always going to get the occasional thing like this, though. The main thing is - it seems to me that it is only occasional.
I personally am of the view - be welcoming and friendly to all if possible.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 18th September 2019, 12:06 AM

Any forum needs a 24/7 rota of eagle eyed mods.

If there's a vacancy, I'm happy to be one

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 18th September 2019, 12:06 AM

I think the forums need more mods. There I said it. I know it's not that easy and a trustworthy mod that you can rely on long term is not easy to find but the forums need closer moderation. There is a report feature but not many people will use that and I've seen spam posts that have been here for several hours before being deleted.

We have for a long time been trying to find great moderators, but it is tough to find the right people; someone with a lot of time on their hands every day, who also is level headed etc...

In the meantime, if people could use the Report button more that would be wonderful - it's the way to solve so much! From 8am to midnight, if someone reports spam it'll be gone within 5 minutes. It just needs someone to press the button to alert us.