My computer is spying on me! Page 2

I've always been the kind of person to knowledge when I've goofed up and as such I apologise Rood Eye for my choice of words in my last post. The copious amounts of cider I consumed at a bbq last night is no excuse for my offensive language and breaking forum rules. Not my finest hour for sure.

In a more sober tone and with a sincere apology done I have to point out that I used to enjoy reading your posts but now I don't even read the walls of text because there is no substance to it anymore. As I pointed out before a lot of the new threads could be posted in existing threads. You mentioned that you started this as a new thread because you wanted technical help and posting it in Status Report thread would have seen it quickly buried in new posts but we both know that isn't true and there is already a technical/IT thread in General Discussion. I forget the name and it's probably not been updated for a while but that seems to be the best place to post IT queries. When you post there there are some egghead members that always respond. There are a lot of articles online about how to disable the Cortana process but if it's not using much CPU then it's probably more hassle than it's worth. I don't use Cortana and just checked Task Manager and the process is using between 0% to 3%.

I'm all for people starting new threads especially as it can be pretty quiet at times but quality over quantity eh. Have a nice Sunday :)

Tarby, I know you're a decent bloke at heart and I knew last night that you weren't your normal self.

I take no offence at anything you said.

It's important to remember when writing or performing (whether comedy or non-comedy) that it's of absolutely no consequence how many people don't like your work: the only thing that matters is how many people do like it.

I remember getting a phone call from JK Rowling when "Deathly Hallows" first came out.

She was absolutely distraught that the book had been on sale for 24 hours and yet 96% of people in the UK had not bought a copy.

I asked how many people in the UK had bought a copy on the first day.

She said "just over two and a half million".

I then picked up my guitar and sang down the phone "Always look on the bright side of life".

She cheered up immediately and was soon joining in.

It was at that point that I asked her for a loan of £50 and she hung up.

I know you won't have read this far because this post is now getting a little longer than the pithy one-liners a lot of people prefer.

Nevertheless, I think my point is well made (rather like a Japanese car). Laughing out loud

If you use Google's, Amazon's or Microsoft's software, you can expect to have your actions spied on.

Any statement or option to the contrary by Google, Amazon or Microsoft are about as truth full as a Rood Eye posting.

They're just bots though, trying to aim advertising to you.

Quote: billwill @ 30th June 2019, 1:16 PM

If you use Google's, Amazon's or Microsoft's software, you can expect to have your actions spied on.

Any statement or option to the contrary by Google, Amazon or Microsoft are about as truth full as a Rood Eye posting.

For any newcomers to BCG who may be unfamiliar with BillWill, I should point out that he is knowledgeable on a number of subjects - two of which are IT and me. Laughing out loud

Quote: Rood Eye @ 30th June 2019, 1:48 PM

For any newcomers to BCG who may be unfamiliar with BillWill, I should point out that he is knowledgeable on a number of subjects - two of which are IT and me. Laughing out loud

When you came back I thought you were a reformed character, but your old egotistic self is leaking back now. :)

Quote: billwill @ 30th June 2019, 5:28 PM

When you came back I thought you were a reformed character, but your old egotistic self is leaking back now. :)

I see your point, Bill, and I shall endeavour to be less egotistic in future.

Didn't think I'd ever say this because of past history, but Rood is all right. Think you're all being a bit nasty about him. There are people here who're very nasty turds in comparison.

Quote: Briosaid @ 30th June 2019, 10:06 PM

Rood is all right.

Thanks, Brio.

There are people here who're very nasty turds in comparison.

I couldn't possibly comment. Whistling nnocently

Quote: Rood Eye @ 30th June 2019, 11:09 PM

Thanks, Brio.

I couldn't possibly comment. Whistling nnocently

And I'll bet you can't remember when you banned me and many others on your board. *snigger* You're forgiven, by the way.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 30th June 2019, 6:13 PM

I see your point, Bill, and I shall endeavour to be less egotistic in future.

Well stop laughing at your own "jokes" for starters!!

Quote: Briosaid @ 30th June 2019, 11:13 PM

And I'll bet you can't remember when you banned me and many others on your board. *snigger* You're forgiven, by the way.

I can remember that such things happened but almost all details have faded into the mists of time.

I think it all revolved around my disagreements with Sheepy who was an intelligent bloke and a very good writer to boot. I can't remember anything we disagreed about and I never felt the slightest dislike for him but he must have succeeded in annoying me beyond my limits of endurance.

I'm sure I banned him several times simply for being annoying and it seems I banned several other people simply for agreeing with Sheepy. I think it's true to say that, in those days, tolerance was not my strong point.

I do remember being very friendly with somebody on that board but she fell out with me in circumstances that it would be improper to introduce into this thread - or indeed any other thread!

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair - as somebody once said.

Strange days indeed - as somebody else once said.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 30th June 2019, 11:36 PM

Well stop laughing at your own "jokes" for starters!!

I see that as a cry for help from Rood.

There are people here who're very nasty turds in comparison.

Do you mean me?

Quote: Rood Eye @ 29th June 2019, 10:24 PM

I've just sent an email to a friend of mine that included the sentence, "I'll get a new Android phone sometime between now and Christmas."

Within a minute of sending it, I received a message from Cortana in the bottom right of my screen saying "You mentioned to (my friend's name) 'I'll get a new Android phone sometime between now and Christmas'. I will remind you on December 25 at 6.14 am"

What the bloody hell is going on? :O

Who's Cortana?

Anyway yes I've noticed some spooky "co-incidences".

Quote: Chappers @ 1st July 2019, 7:05 PM

Do you mean me?.

Of course not. I got used to your turdiness years ago and it doesn't count any more. Laughing out loud