Unpredictable

As women comedians go (and I can think of a few that should), Jenny Eclair is one that should most certainly stay. She's naturally funny and that's not something you can say about many comedians these days - of any gender.

Notice I say "any" rather than "either". I'm moving with the times, folks!

But back to Jenny. I was reading an article she wrote recently in which she moaned about the fact that "unpredictable" is an adjective only ever applied to male comedians.

It appears Jenny acknowledges the existence of only two genders but don't worry - I'll have a word with her.

But back to unpredictability. Jenny doesn't like it, apparently. She thinks it's synonymous with unprofessionalism. She even goes as far as complaining about one of the most spectacularly talented comedians Britain has ever produced - Michael Barrymore.

Yes, Michael Barrymore was often unpredictable and for one simple reason: the stuff that came into his mind while he was onstage was often a damn sight funnier than the stuff in the script. It's called comedy talent. You might even call it comedy jazz. On the other hand, you might not. Whatever you call it, Barrymore had it in spades. You might even say shovels. On the other hand . . . but I digress.

Back to women. While I can't immediately think of a woman comedian with a reputation for unpredictability, I can think of one woman who tried very hard to gain such a reputation and that is Mrs Connolly - previously known as Pamela Stephenson. Oh, sorry, we were talking about comedians. I appear to have digressed again.

Back to Jenny. I always think it's a mistake for a comedian to play Hamlet. It's a mistake for a comedian ever to be serious in public unless commenting on a genuine tragedy. Comedians are here first and foremost to be funny: they're not here to change the world. The snag is that so many think they can - but very few of them ever do. And those that do don't do it by moaning.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 29th June 2019, 9:24 AM

As women comedians go (and I can think of a few that should), Jenny Eclair is one that should most certainly stay. She's naturally funny and that's not something you can say about many comedians these days - of any gender.

Notice I say "any" rather than "either". I'm moving with the times, folks!

But back to Jenny. I was reading an article she wrote recently in which she moaned about the fact that "unpredictable" is an adjective only ever applied to male comedians.

It appears Jenny acknowledges the existence of only two genders but don't worry - I'll have a word with her.

But back to unpredictability. Jenny doesn't like it, apparently. She thinks it's synonymous with unprofessionalism. She even goes as far as complaining about one of the most spectacularly talented comedians Britain has ever produced - Michael Barrymore.

Yes, Michael Barrymore was often unpredictable and for one simple reason: the stuff that came into his mind while he was onstage was often a damn sight funnier than the stuff in the script. It's called comedy talent. You might even call it comedy jazz. On the other hand, you might not. Whatever you call it, Barrymore had it in spades. You might even say shovels. On the other hand . . . but I digress.

Back to women. While I can't immediately think of a woman comedian with a reputation for unpredictability, I can think of one woman who tried very hard to gain such a reputation and that is Mrs Connolly - previously known as Pamela Stephenson. Oh, sorry, we were talking about comedians. I appear to have digressed again.

Back to Jenny. I always think it's a mistake for a comedian to play Hamlet. It's a mistake for a comedian ever to be serious in public unless commenting on a genuine tragedy. Comedians are here first and foremost to be funny: they're not here to change the world. The snag is that so many think they can - but very few of them ever do. And those that do don't do it by moaning.

Could you sum up the point you're making in one pithy sentence? It'd make it easier for us.

Quote: chipolata @ 29th June 2019, 1:19 PM

Could you sum up the point you're making in one pithy sentence? It'd make it easier for us.

There speaks a man who is clearly used to getting things over with as soon as possible. Laughing out loud

Quote: Rood Eye @ 29th June 2019, 2:17 PM

There speaks a man who is clearly used to getting things over with as soon as possible. Laughing out loud

Laughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loud....................:|

She has a point - apart from that Pamela SJ incident I can't think of any other woman pulling a Freddie Star / Rod Hull / Ollie Reed / Barrymore stunt on a talk show or whatever, nor faking a sudden mental breakdown or alarming tantrum on stage a la Stewart Lee.

Certainly as far as her stand-up material is concerned she's even more predictable than Jo Brand. I'm reminded of when she was on Just a Minute and inherited the subject 'job' or 'boots' or something and proceeded to describe her Saturday job in Boots the Chemist as a teenager.

Take a wild guess at what products she was charged with selling ...

( not that that casual Boots staff are put in charge of products that are simply picked from the shelves by customers in reality )

Please note: I am *not* a big old misogynist; in the evening I just like a cup of tea, so I wouldn't have much time for the old misogyny. Nor am I scandalised by ladies' bodily functions any more than those of any other of the many, many genders currently available.