The Lionesses Page 2

Quote: chipolata @ 23rd June 2019, 9:12 PM

You're basically describing all football.

Being a football fan all my life I could never understand my mates who were not into it. I kind of get it now.

Really sad that Jordan Nobbs has missed out again. Terrific player and a real blow for the team. Been watching England's progress over the last decade with great interest.

However i do have a problem with watching them on TV - commentator Jonathan Pearce's cringe-worthy and condescending rubbish. During play he is often talking about bobbles or hairstyles. At the she believes cup he spent 10 minutes whilst the game was on talking about how the families of the players were all mixing with the players at the team hotel, meeting for coffee and all popping out to do some shopping. Can you imagine him doing that during an England men's game. He also enthusiastically praised Philip Neville for really taking the Ladies manager job seriously - a minimum requirement i would have thought?

Quote: playfull @ 24th June 2019, 4:03 PM

taking the Ladies manager job seriously

Given that Phil Neville has zero experience of front-line football management and zero experience of the women's game, and given that the FA had discussions with about 150 other possible choices for the job - none of whom wanted it - before appointing Phil, I sincerely hope he is taking it seriously because, given his total lack of qualifications for the job, he's bloody lucky to have it!

As I understand it, the current manager of the men's team is on a salary of £1.8 million per annum.

Again, as I understand it, the pre-Neville manager of the women's team was on £150,000 per annum.

If Phil is taking the job seriously, I'm glad to hear it - because the FA certainly isn't!

Another matter: given that diversity and equality are just about the most important words in the English language in the present day and age, it doesn't take a genius to realise how hard the FA must have tried to find a woman for this job. I mean, let's face it; to have a male manager of England's women's football team in the current socio-political climate is verging on ridiculous.

There is only one explanation: although Phil Neville is a great bloke and all that, the job must be viewed throughout football as the most poisonous poisoned chalice in the history of the world.

England 3 Norway 0

We've all got a semi on now! Laughing out loud

Overall a brilliant performance although there were a few dodgy lapses.

Great win, good game with top class finishing. Tough game ahead though. Will need to work on eliminating the mid game slack passing if we are to progress past either USA or France.

Go girls!

Quote: Rood Eye @ 27th June 2019, 9:54 PM

We've all got a semi on now! Laughing out loud

Laughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loud.............................:|

Quote: Rood Eye @ 24th June 2019, 4:33 PM

Again, as I understand it, the pre-Neville manager of the women's team was on £150,000 per annum.

Not a bad salary, with expenses on top of that, free travel and hotels, training in holiday resorts etc. Then he can get sponsorship deals, book deals when he's been sacked etc. The players based in England aren't paid as much as that at their clubs.

The current team are playing better under Neville, who I expect is on a bit more than 150k but he's quite well off anyway so he might not be in it for the money. He's got them playing constant attacking football which is paying off and they look pretty good to me. The only thing I'd be concerned about is a couple of his star players haven't really turned up yet and he's got some talent on the bench who aren't getting enough game time. And one or two of his first choicers are losing the ball too much. Bronze though could probably win it on her own she's that good. I'd put her in midfield where England are a bit sloppy.

I'm late to the party with women's football and I've been guilty of mocking it.
Even though my niece went to an American academy for football.
(She had to give it up due to shin splints) I don't even know what that is but it sounds nasty.
But I've watched a few games now and really enjoyed them.
Now I'm a big fan.... Come on england

Only 5 minutes into the semi-final and it's obvious the Americans are bloody good. :O

9 minutes in and the Yanks have scored with a header. :(

18 minutes in and England have equalised! :D

30 minutes in and the Yanks have scored with another header. :(

83 minutes and England have just failed to put a penalty away. :(

This is the huge difference between the men's game and the women's game - the power of the penalty kicks.

Exciting match!

Shit, offside!

Wave

Quote: DaButt @ 2nd July 2019, 9:56 PM

Wave

In fairness to America, they did play well tonight and they did save us from disaster in World War II so I don't begrudge them their victory here.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 2nd July 2019, 8:05 PM

This is the huge difference between the men's game and the women's game - the power of the penalty kicks.

I think it's all the delays between the penalty being awarded and the kick being taken which is causing the problems.