- Monday 3rd June 2019, 10:53am
- United Kingdom
- 2 posts
Ed Amsden & Tom Coles here, a comedy writing partnership working across TV & Radio (Have I Got News For You, Dead Ringers, 8 Out of 10 Cats, The News Quiz, etc).
Thought we'd let you all know about a short course we're running at the National Film and Television school, where we'll be teaching you how to write sketch comedy.
In this 2 day, practical course, we'll cover:
- The theory behind how comedy sketches work, as well as tips and guidance for writing, including the importance of industry-standard formatting.
- 'Finding the funny' when choosing your angle and subject, selecting your target and mining it for jokes.
- Understanding and replicating different comic tones and styles.
- Comprehensive analysis on the difference between writing for radio and TV, as well as online, live performance and other formats.
- Creating, crafting and honing sketches together, with group discussion and one-to-one feedback.
- Open-submission programmes and potential career trajectories through comedy writing.
- Practical advice and guidance on where to submit your work and how to get your first broadcast credit.
Here's the link with all the necessary details: https://nfts.co.uk/comedy-sketch-writing-radio-tv
Any questions, feel free to give us a shout. Hope to see you all in September!
Thanks and all the best,
Ed & Tom