The Greatest Ventriloquist in the World - Ever!

I'm sure most BCG members enjoy watching a good ventriloquist act but I'm equally sure a great many of our younger members will be entirely unfamiliar with the name "Arthur Worsley".

Arthur was a lad from Manchester whose career as a ventriloquist spanned the 1960s plus a few years either side.

Not only was he the most technically talented "vent" I've ever seen: he was also the funniest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHvUvaYb2js

I think the doll is Charlie Brown. I do have vague memories of it. Watching it now, Worsley was much cleverer than I realised. I feel he has a slight appearance facially of Ken Dodd here. But ventriloquism gives me nightmares. That thing on BGT the other night was horrible. Cowell behaved like a wet idiot and I wasn't surprised but it was too creepy for me.

Who was the one with the monocle?

Quote: A Horseradish @ 3rd June 2019, 10:34 AM

Who was the one with the monocle?

He was the ever-so-posh Lord Charles - who worked with ventriloquist Ray Alan.

Arthur Worsley's little friend was, as you suggest, Charlie Brown.

Oh yes, that's right - Dave Allen, Ray Alan, Ray Moore ....they all align a bit in my mind although I am fairly clear who each one was. Keith Harris, of Orville fame I think died when he fell of a roof trying to move or fix a television aerial. But I could be wrong. In my head I see him on that roof with Orville in one hand but presumably that wasn't quite how it happened.

Keith died from cancer it was Rod Hull that fell from a roof when trying to move the aerial for better reception during a football match. Used to love watching the Rod and Emu show.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 3rd June 2019, 11:27 AM

Keith died from cancer it was Rod Hull that fell from a roof when trying to move the aerial for better reception during a football match. Used to love watching the Rod and Emu show.

Oh, that's right Tarby.

Sorry.

I will have to change my thinking now to Rod Hull and Emu on the roof and then delete the Emu part as Emu probably wasn't in one hand or the cause. And then delete the Rod Hull and the roof and the television aerial parts because it is sad.

The tragic demise of Rod Hull was witnessed by a little pixie who ran back to his family and declared "I've just seen a human dude roll off a roof!"

A strange tale, you might think - but even stranger when you realise that "human dude roll" is an anagram of "Rod Hull and Emu".

F/X TWILIGHT ZONE THEME

There was a hilarious cartoon in Viz about five years ago where Rod, Orville and Cuddles live in a flat and Cuddles secretly calls the authorities and pretends Orville is infected with bird flu so men in hazmat suits burst in and take Orville away to be destroyed despite Rod's pleas to leave him alone. He's dumped on a big pile of chickens and then blasted with flame throwers. It then shows Rod sat on his sofa weeping because he has lost Orville and the last frame is Cuddles with his arm around Rod comforting him while looking at the camera with a sly look on his face.

The best ventriloquist on the wireless was Peter Brough.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 3rd June 2019, 4:42 PM

The best ventriloquist on the wireless was Peter Brough.

Was he the father of Ayshea "Lift Off" Brough or is this one for the Who Do You Fancy thread?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Hg8tc4i_Po

(oh, father in law apparently.....according to the video)

Quote: Rood Eye @ 3rd June 2019, 3:12 PM

The tragic demise of Rod Hull was witnessed by a little pixie who ran back to his family and declared "I've just seen a human dude roll off a roof!"

A strange tale, you might think - but even stranger when you realise that "human dude roll" is an anagram of "Rod Hull and Emu".

F/X TWILIGHT ZONE THEME

Uncanny. Cool

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 3rd June 2019, 3:35 PM

There was a hilarious cartoon in Viz about five years ago where Rod, Orville and Cuddles live in a flat and Cuddles secretly calls the authorities and pretends Orville is infected with bird flu so men in hazmat suits burst in and take Orville away to be destroyed despite Rod's pleas to leave him alone. He's dumped on a big pile of chickens and then blasted with flame throwers. It then shows Rod sat on his sofa weeping because he has lost Orville and the last frame is Cuddles with his arm around Rod comforting him while looking at the camera with a sly look on his face.

I always thought there was more going on there than we told.

Now we know.

Great exclusive by Viz! ;)

Here is Eric Morecambe working with Charlie. The original vent must have passed on at this point? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DYm9JDWCJBo