Filthy, Rich & Catflap

I can remember watching episode one of this series in 1987 and thinking it wasn't much good.

However, as I write these words, I'm watching episode one again and it's absolutely marvellous!

Easily one of the funniest sitcoms I've ever seen!

What a difference 32 years can make to one's appreciation of a sitcom!

And the first is the weakest. The episode with The Nolans is the best sitcom epi ever.

I remember that only cartoons voiced by Rik were not up to usual snuff.

Ha, I see IMDB rates Filthy Rich & Catflap only 7.1

The Noles and Mel Smith eps, yes.
The resszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt...

Casting my mind back through the mists of time to 1987, I think I must have seen just a few minutes of episode one and then stopped watching for some reason, never to watch another single moment of the series until yesterday.

Having now watched the first three episodes, I'd rate it as one of the all-time great sitcoms - British or otherwise. It's brilliantly written by Ben Elton and superbly performed by the cast. I've certainly never seen a sitcom in which so many genuinely funny things are said and done in a single episode.

Apart from its comedic value, it offers valuable insights into some of the BBC's other values in times gone by. In this modern day and age, there are probably several TV viewers who have never, during the course of a sitcom, heard a slightly camp young man told angrily to "shut up, you little poof!" or a female character addressed angrily as "bitch" or "you stupid slag!".

I wonder why there was only ever one series? Whistling nnocently

I love how silly it is and how Eddie is the most likely out of anyone to harm Richie even though he's his bodyguard Laughing out loud I just thought of that line from Eddie when they're playing Triv (Trivial Pursuit) because Richie keeps delaying the game Eddie says something like "If you don't shut up I'm going to punch you in the face and because I'm your minder I'm going to have to beat myself up". :D A lot of similarities with Bottom and not just the names but their characters are not much different. The scene in Catflap where they are trying to play Triv and Richie is taking ages is the same as the Chess scene in Bottom. I'll have to pull it out (the DVD) and slam it in (the DVD player) but I've not watched much Rik Mayall recently because sometimes it can be too sombre when I watch him since he died. The selfish bastard.

Talking of pulling out DVDs, and moving on to talking about pulling stuff out of DVDs:

The series was released on DVD in 2004 by Playback and later in 2012 as a 25th-anniversary edition by Acorn.

I am led to believe that both DVD releases are edited and have lost many of the songs and some of the gags.

I have the Playback version and didn't know about the 25th anniversary edition. I can understand if songs have had to be cut because of copyright but it would be a shame if dialogue is removed as I can't see a reason for that unless it's un-PC material and the publisher is scared.

Makes me wonder if the VHS release was unchanged from the original airing and I had it on VHS but my whole collection was chucked away a few years ago because of the space it was taking up and the fact I didn't even have a VHS player anymore. I remember watching The Young Ones episode Flood in 1982 and the Lion Tamer scene had Tight Fit - The Lion Sleeps Tonight dubbed over it but the song wasn't included on the VHS or DVD releases because of copyright.

I believe both the DVD and VHS releases were similarly edited.

The missing bits are, for the most part, songs but I understand there's a Joe Dolce song gag which has been deleted from the VHS and from both the DVDs.

It makes you wonder what is out there on Betamax and VHS tapes that were used to record TV shows all those years ago. If I worked in house clearance I would collect every Betamax tape I found as they would probably make you a few quid by publishing them on YouTube. Risky if it's something from the BBC but if it's unique footage it could have online value and the copyright is yours. The only downside is you have to watch all of it.

I concur, great sitcom. It's peak Mayall/Edmomdson tomfoolery (also am I right in thinking Arthur Smith turns up as a milkman in one episode?). Glad I saw this thread actually, I haven't dug this out in years, force of habit but I rewatch Bottom much more regularly to the point that I know most of the episodes verbatim, whereas this I could watch and it'll almost be like the first time. That's tomorrow sorted then!

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 31st May 2019, 11:29 PM

am I right in thinking Arthur Smith turns up as a milkman in one episode?

Yes, quite right - that's episode one!

Still on the subject of changing times, in episode four, Richie goes into a pub looking for someone who might be prepared to kill his father.

He suggests it to two blokes at the bar who seem reluctant to undertake the mission.

Richie suggests that they're scared and goes on, loudly, "What are you, queer? Maybe they're poofs? Just a couple of poncey old queens. Just two mincing old woofters. Whoops, watch your bums, lads! Backs to the wall! Put on your bike clips or they'll be up your trouser leg! Get 'em a handbag! Bloody fairies! That's what you are, isn't it?"

Throughout Richie's homophobic diatribe, Eddie stands at his shoulder making stereotypically homosexual gestures and movements.

The joke (and it seems rather a long time coming when you watch it in 2019) is that the two guys immediately reply "Yeah" and the landlord adds "This is a gay pub".

They certainly don't write 'em like that anymore.

Nor should they, of course. (I thought I'd better say that)

Wow surprised at all the love for this show

I think it stunk!

And I loved the young ones, and Bottom is probably my favourite sitcom of all time

Probably the main reason for me is that Rik's character is obnoxious and foul- but not in a 'funny' or a good way. He is just horrible and annoying.

The only saving grace for me is Nigel Planers character- which I really liked

But mainly it was guff!

I'm amazed how positive revisitors are - it was slated!
The beginning of the end, but I've been through this 4321 times, always on this forum.

I can see how some people might be offended by what even in those days would have been deemed misogynistic and homophobic slurs in the dialogue but it might be unwise to get into a lengthy, complicated and (to some BCG members) unacceptable discussion regarding the rightness or wrongness of including such dialogue in the show.

Setting such dialogue aside, however, the show is just so sensationally funny it's like nothing else I've ever seen on TV in my life. It's leagues ahead of both "The Young Ones" and "Bottom" in every way.

I love the way Ben Elton uses the characters to slag off celebrities he, himself, doesn't particularly care for. I also love the way he informs writers and would-be writers that if they send anything good to the BBC, it is highly likely to be stolen by the BBC unless the writer has taken all necessary steps to protect his interest.

However, having read other people's comments, it's obviously "Marmite". Laughing out loud