Years and Years

This is a thoroughly entertaining and quite frightening vision of Britain and the world in the not too distant future.

The writing of natural-sounding dialogue is something that a great many writers struggle with, and it's something that lots of writers simply cannot do. It's even more difficult when you have an army of characters to write for. Notwithstanding the difficulties, Russell T Davies does a fine job with the dialogue here.

Still on the subject of dialogue, the series is set in and around Manchester and it calls for Dame Emma Thompson to deliver all her dialogue in a Manchester accent - something which, to my surprise and delight, she does exceedingly well. You can't fault it, you really can't!

Apart from its value as a very well-written TV drama serial, it is also noteworthy for its skilful use of "diversity": the series is packed with diversity but, when you think about it, so is Manchester. Kudos to Russell T Davies for packing so much of it in while making its inclusion appear almost seamless.

What stood out for me was the "wheelchair person" (as Alan Partridge would say) who was written in by the writer and portrayed by the actor as a perfectly normal happy woman with a perfectly normal happy family and a perfectly normal happy life who, unfortunately, has medical issues affecting her ability to walk.

In short, she wasn't in any way defined by her wheelchair - and that's pretty rare in a British TV drama.

Recommended.

but everyone seemed to be gay for no good reason. Well not everyone but more than seemed necessary.

Quote: Chappers @ 22nd May 2019, 10:53 PM

but everyone seemed to be gay for no good reason. Well not everyone but more than seemed necessary.

In Episode One, there's a gay married couple and a gay Ukrainian immigrant who appears to be a threat to the couple's fidelity. It's easy, I believe, for the viewer to accept that in a cast of so many characters such a situation has occurred naturally rather than having been crowbarred into the script to tick boxes in the diversity quota while simultaneously kowtowing to the LGBT community.

Each of the three gay characters is very a clearly "real" person rather than the stereotypical gay man so beloved of British TV scriptwriters in decades gone by.

Give it a go, it's almost as funny as it is frightening! Laughing out loud

I have seen part 1 and I intend to see part 2.

Interesting that facade that the daughter creates to escape reality.

Quote: Chappers @ 22nd May 2019, 10:53 PM

Russell T Davis drama?

Brexit seemed to get in the way though. It seemed obvious that Brexit had been cancelled, but this didn't seem to be pointed out.

The character Daniel Lyons played by Russell Tovey seems to want to shag any young man he sees.

Quote: Chappers @ 23rd May 2019, 9:28 PM

The character Daniel Lyons played by Russell Tovey seems to want to shag any young man he sees.

That's because he's gay.

If he were straight, he'd want to shag any young woman he sees.

It's how young men are.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 23rd May 2019, 9:35 PM

That's because he's gay.

It's how young men are.

He's not young though.

Quote: Chappers @ 23rd May 2019, 9:42 PM

He's not young though.

I don't know how old the character is supposed to be but Russell Tovey is 37.

He's a spring chicken!

Quote: Rood Eye @ 23rd May 2019, 9:35 PM

That's because he's gay.

It's how young men are.

You have a very straight forward idea of what straightness is. What if he finds them repulsive? Or doesn't like her accent or so on?

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 24th May 2019, 5:10 PM

What if he finds them repulsive? Or doesn't like her accent or so on?

He does what any young man would do in those circumstances: he gets it over quickly.

Russell Tovey is very sexy, lots of people would love to be shagged by him, me included.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 24th May 2019, 5:25 PM

He does what any young man would do in those circumstances: he gets it over quickly.

Yuk!

Quote: Briosaid @ 24th May 2019, 7:29 PM

Yuk!

Not a pleasant image, I agree - but sometimes it's the price you pay for quality comedy.

I'm here all week.

Try the veal.

Cool

Quote: beaky @ 24th May 2019, 7:13 PM

Russell Tovey is very sexy, lots of people would love to be shagged by him, me included.

He's okay, but Viktor is Lovey.