Lolly Adefope

Definitely Tarby

• Wednesday 15th May 2019, 9:17pm
  • South South West, England
  • 1,539 posts
Quote: Rood Eye @ 15th May 2019, 9:29 AM

Lolly has been mentioned in a few posts recently.

For her fans, and for others unfamiliar with her comedy, here's a little showreel she made to showcase her talents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWV8z78O0B4

Showreels by their nature are never going to be polished but I like her confidence which reminds me of the attitude of 3 Non-Blondes. This Time with Alan Partridge will have given her great exposure and more doors opening over the last year while it was being filmed. I just hope she stays away from the lure of adverts. They might pay the bills but will they help further the TV/Film career?

Chappers

• Saturday 18th May 2019, 8:56pm
  • Surreyish., England
  • 29,903 posts
Quote: Rood Eye @ 15th May 2019, 9:29 AM

Lolly has been mentioned in a few posts recently.

For her fans, and for others unfamiliar with her comedy, here's a little showreel she made to showcase her talents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWV8z78O0B4

Obviously she thinks this is very clever but maybe that just sums her up.

Rood Eye

• Saturday 18th May 2019, 9:39pm [Edited]
  • England
  • 1,745 posts
Quote: Chappers @ 18th May 2019, 8:56 PM

Obviously she thinks this is very clever but maybe that just sums her up.

She obviously thinks she's a highly talented comedian and we can hardly blame her for thinking that when all around are telling her that's exactly what she is.

The question is "Why are they telling her that?"

I could understand it if this were North Korea and she were the daughter of Kim Jong-un: but it's not and she isn't.

So what is it that's frightening everybody?

Perhaps it's like the situation in "The Emperor's New Clothes" except that in this real-life version, we know that when somebody shouts out the truth, the crowd won't suddenly come to their senses, they'll grab the soothsayer and kick his head in.

Chappers

• Saturday 18th May 2019, 9:54pm
  • Surreyish., England
  • 29,903 posts

Well she always has that stupid grin on her face. Maybe she's just mental (although I'm probably not supposed to say that in 2019).

Definitely Tarby

• Saturday 18th May 2019, 11:44pm
  • 1,539 posts
Quote: Rood Eye @ 18th May 2019, 9:39 PM

She obviously thinks she's a highly talented comedian and we can hardly blame her for thinking that when all around are telling her that's exactly what she is.

The question is "Why are they telling her that?"

I could understand it if this were North Korea and she were the daughter of Kim Jong-un: but it's not and she isn't.

So what is it that's frightening everybody?

Perhaps it's like the situation in "The Emperor's New Clothes" except that in this real-life version, we know that when somebody shouts out the truth, the crowd won't suddenly come to their senses, they'll grab the soothsayer and kick his head in.

In the words of Alan Partridge "What?"

I assumed you created this thread to champion Lolly not be disrespectful towards her. Why do you keep insisting she is a BBC pawn being used in some make believe television race balancing act? I used to appreciate your posts but now I think you post shit. This thread shows how far you will go because this clearly could have gone in the youtube thread.

Rood Eye

• Saturday 18th May 2019, 11:58pm [Edited]
  • England
  • 1,745 posts
Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 18th May 2019, 11:44 PM

disrespectful towards her . . . you post shit

If it's disrespectful to suggest that a performer is overrated for reasons I don't understand, then I suppose I must be disrespectful.

However, it isn't - so I'm not.

On the "Ghosts" thread, you'll find a post by somebody saying that Lolly isn't funny: to demonstrate your impartiality, you should now make post on that thread chastising that person for having the unmitigated gall to express that opinion.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 18th May 2019, 11:44 PM

Why do you keep insisting she is a BBC pawn being used in some make believe television race balancing act?

I don't believe I've ever insisted that, have I?

Firstly, the BBC's (and other production companies') mission to improve diversity on television is not make-believe and I have never suggested that it is.

Secondly, I fully support their wishes to improve diversity: my only complaint is that they appear occasionally to be doing it by crowbarring minority actors into situations instead of casting them plausibly to represent their numerical contribution to the British population. Even worse, when they do cast a minority actor appropriately, they often fail dismally to cast anything like the best minority actor for the job, preferring it seems instead to save time and effort by casting just anyone who fits the appropriate diversity box(es). That's not how a diversity initiative is supposed to work.

Thirdly, I don't believe I have ever criticised Lolly for being black but, of course, it is not uncommon for the PC Brigade and the Snowflakes to wave the race card whenever a "minority" member is criticised for any reason whatever.

Fourthly, there is no fourthly.

Definitely Tarby

• Sunday 19th May 2019, 12:17am
  • 1,539 posts

Why create this thread? Get a life.

Firkin

• Sunday 19th May 2019, 9:50am [Edited]
  • United Kingdom
  • 489 posts
Quote: Rood Eye @ 18th May 2019, 11:58 PM

a performer is overrated for reasons I don't understand

Rood could it be that you don't fall into her audience demographic ? She was nominated for two Chortle Awards. Her enviable CV goes beyond tokenism. My kids don't get the Beatles, yes the Beatles ! Well maybe "Yellow Submarine" , but only because Thomas the Tank engine sings it.

Rood Eye

• Sunday 19th May 2019, 10:33am [Edited]
  • England
  • 1,745 posts
Quote: Firkin @ 19th May 2019, 9:50 AM

Rood could it be that you don't fall into her audience demographic ?

Yes, it certainly could.

When commenting about Lolly on the "Ghosts" thread, the very first thing I ever said about her was:

Quote: Rood Eye @ 15th April 2019, 10:54 PM

There's nothing wrong with her

I've certainly seen comedy performers with much less talent than Lolly has. I've also seen comedy performers with much more talent than she has. My sole reason for bringing her up in my posts is quite simply that I cannot understand why she's getting so much work when there are, in my opinion, far better comedians/actors (of all shapes, sizes, physical configurations, sexual orientations and ethnicities) who could be cast in her place.

The problem with making such observations is, of course, that Lolly is black and also a woman and that means that any criticism aimed at her is going to provoke the waving of the race card and the gender card by those who believe that only racists ever criticise black people and only misogynists ever criticise women. If certain BCG members were to read my posts a little more carefully, they might realise that I'm not actually criticising Lolly.

I have absolutely no problem with Lolly: my problem lies with her inexplicable rise to fame - something which is most certainly not her fault, and something which I myself would have grabbed very eagerly with both hands if it had happened to me.

Perhaps the most relevant point - as I think we all know - is that if I'd made exactly the same remarks about (say) James Acaster, there wouldn't have been a single word of angry complaint from anyone on BCG. There certainly wouldn't have been a post asking by what right I had dared to "disrespect" him.

Chappers

• Sunday 19th May 2019, 6:40pm
  • Surreyish., England
  • 29,903 posts
Quote: Firkin @ 19th May 2019, 9:50 AM

Rood could it be that you don't fall into her audience demographic ? She was nominated for two Chortle Awards.

Who nominated her though? Nominations don't prove that someone is necessarily good. If they win it perhaps.