Sliced

Just saw a trailer for this. It stars my favourite Timeswasters actor, Samson Kayo. He's also credited as a writer in the IMDb listing. I'm really looking forward to it appearing later this month. :-)

I am getting well tired with this thing of talking up shows when there is less than a full series of the usual minimum of 6 episodes. Only 3 for Sliced. Really? It does star usual Cockney geezer Phil 'Parklife' Daniels though.

Yeah I noticed Phil in the cast. Have to wait and see, won't we.

It's taken a long time for that Bread spinoff to happen I thought until I read the blurb. Yes 3 eps for new sitcoms is creeping in more now, so what's the reason? Broadcasters so unsure it'll be watched they are not committing too much to it? Writers haven't yet got enough material for 6? Actors so busy they can only fit in 3? If it doesn't work they'll say it wasn't a series but a serial, a one off? It is actually a serial? It's a 3 ep pilot? Sitcoms are now being delivered in 3 ep series because of cutbacks?

They never inform us about why these choices are made, do they. It's all a bit secret squirrel at BH etc...

It happened with Zapped too. Three episodes for the first series, then six episodes for series two and three. Maybe testing the water first, before making more.

Nothing mind-blowing but it was alright. I hope there's more of it

PhoneShop 2.0. The similarities were achingly obvious from the outset before I even looked it up. Considering they only had 3 episodes (of which I'm halfway through) to squeeze a whole season's worth of content, and a fair few years since PhoneShop to explore ideas, I'm underwhelmed. Still worth a watch.

Martin Trenaman and Javone Prince given cameo parts six years after PhoneShop ended. Talk about Phil Bowker getting his old mates in on the action. Time will tell if this gets or deserves a full series.

I haven't even watched it yet! Been bogged down with worky stuff...really getting in the way of my lazy sofa days of TV-watching! Never watched PhoneShop either, so I'll be watching without any memory of that.

The man on the date with Naomi made me a bit uncomfortable and not in a funny way, but for the most part I enjoyed last night's.

The new 3-episode trial commission is a particularly UKTV thing. Seemingly because they don't have an awful lot of money to throw about. Not sure why they don't just commit to a whole Comedy Playhouse series of their own in that case. Certainly Zapped Series 1 has been referred to as a "three episode pilot".

Anyway, I really enjoyed Sliced and thought it showed a lot of promise for a full-length run.

Quote: Alfie J @ 16th May 2019, 1:53 AM

PhoneShop 2.0. The similarities were achingly obvious from the outset before I even looked it up. Considering they only had 3 episodes (of which I'm halfway through) to squeeze a whole season's worth of content, and a fair few years since PhoneShop to explore ideas, I'm underwhelmed. Still worth a watch.

Yes, a definite PhoneShop ² vibe plus the chap who played the gormless boardgame playing gangster son in the second series of White Gold. Nothing I haven't seen before!
Plus how many alleged comedies do we need featuring this country's underclass and criminal element, eg. this, People Just Do Nothing and Man Like Mobeen ?

2 episodes in and anyone loving or hating this? I keep falling asleep half way through it. Say no more bruv. Did Phil Bowker write this from the off cuts and once rejected ideas from PhoneShop? A OWL.

Continuing to enjoy this a lot. Big laughs, a sweet romance arc, and Phil Daniels doing what he's best at - comedy.

This show went from good and brilliantly funny to terrible and boring. They dialled down the rude language in series 2, and for some reason the actress who played Teeka was replaced and the location of the pizza parlour was changed! It was a really great comedy throughout the 3 episode pilot, but the humour was toned down for the full series and felt like a different show